To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have lost access to my 2-factor authentication device

Options

I have, unfortunately, lost access to my 2-factor authentication device. I have also lost any passcodes for bypassing this I may have had. (I'm not sure how I lost them, so I'm assuming incompetence on my part)

as far as I can tell, this leaves me with two options:
. find some way to deactivate 2FA (which I'm guessing won't be possible)
. create a new account, import all my passwords to it, and delete my old account somehow (to stop me being charged for it)

so, would it be possible for you to deactivate the 2FA or delete my 1password account and, in the latter case, would I be able to use the same email address in the new account? sorry to be a bother.

(to be clear on what I have access to, I know all my security details other than 2FA codes, and am currently logged in to the app on my pc, but not the browser)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@StaccatoSemibreve: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that. It's no bother at all, but it's not something we can really assist with here in a public forum since it's going to involve account details no matter what. I'll shoot you an email shortly to request some additional information.

But if it helps anyone else, contacting us at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address will allow us to look into it and explore the options with you.

ref: XTA-76852-331

• Daniel_B
    Daniel_B
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team,
    i was in a similar situation recently.
    I have lost 2FA Acces on my Phone. So I wasn't able to sign in to my Account.
    On this point, i want to make a wish:
    Is it possible to add another option eg. send SMS with Backup Code to sign in to an 1Password Account with 2FA enabled?

I have to say, i didn't checked the forum about this question...

Kind Regards,
    Daniel

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member
    Options

To send the Code by SMS would be nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blaxxz: Also insecure. Not gonna happen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Daniel_B: We're definitely not going to be offering an SMS option, as that is not a secure communication channel. We'll continue the conversation via email.

ref: KGM-29811-447

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member
    Options

What happens if I lose access to my Google Authenticator app (ex: device OS crashed/device damaged, got lost, etc.)

I tried a hypothetical case by signing in, in Chrome Incognito and I reach the OTP screen to enter the 6-digits code. From there, I am lost.
    Dropbox, Twitter and Teamviewer offer a "Backup code" to disable OTP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What happens if I lose access to my Google Authenticator app (ex: device OS crashed/device damaged, got lost, etc.)

@msxtj: Like any of your other login credentials, if you only have it in one place and it's lost, stolen, eaten, etc., you won't have that to login to your account.

I tried a hypothetical case by signing in, in Chrome Incognito and I reach the OTP screen to enter the 6-digits code. From there, I am lost. Dropbox, Twitter and Teamviewer offer a "Backup code" to disable OTP.

We don't offer static "backup codes" as they negate the time-based benefit of TOTP. I suggest you backup your TOTP secret and/or QR code just like you do with the rest of your account credentials, so you'll have that if you ever need it.

• yevhen
    yevhen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty please confirm I got it right: in case someone loses here 2fa device, she needs to contact support from the linked email address to have a "restore access to 1Password account" conversation. And that's it. Correct?

• Ben
    Options

@yevhen

Correct.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.