Have 1Password on elderly fathers mac and mine, but cannot find any way to reinstall due HDD fail

Options
Simon_T
Simon_T
Community Member

Have had to replace the HDD on my fathers Mac mini where we had 1Password installed with over 50 items. As he is elderly, this product is so much better for him than his previous, scribble on a notepad, and it helps me to help him.
I only put this on as I found it very useful, however, since his HDD died, I've rebuild with a nice SSD. But i cannot complete the build as I cannot download and install version 6.8.8 which he had before, as do I.
So this leaves us with a product we purchased (regardless of founders thoughts on apple store - his opinion - we still purchased it there) that I cannot replicate. We cannot log in to any website, as the application is not on his, but I have it, purchased at roughly the same time, and even that doesn't give me the ability to open a backup file we had in .1pif format. I even tried to see if I could export my own in .agilekeychain or .opvault. I see no option to do this.

How do I proceed? I have a machine here he cannot use effectively as he did when your product did work.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: .1pif
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have 1Password on elderly fathers mac and mine, but cannot find any way to reinstall due HDD fail

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Simon_T! Glad to hear 1Password has helped your dad stay secure online; that's the whole goal! :)

Regarding "when your product did work," I'm pretty sure it still does. ;) If you've got a new hard drive and have had to re-install everything from the ground up (instead of restoring from a backup), then yes, you'd need to re-install 1Password for Mac, from (in your case) the Mac App Store. And you're right, the pre-version 7 1Password is no longer available for new downloads. However, assuming your father is signed into the Mac App Store using the same Apple ID he was previously using, he can visit the Purchased tab (in the top nav bar of the Mac App Store), and download it directly from there, if he previously purchased it. Let me know how that goes.

Regarding his actual 1Password data, that will depend on a number of factors. When he was using 1Password previously, was your father syncing his data using Dropbox or iCloud or even WLAN (Wi-Fi) sync? If so, he can use the synced data there to re-populate his new setup. If he wasn't syncing his data, however, then the only other way to recover his old data file would be if the previous hard drive is accessible at all -- or if there are backups of it that exist on a drive that DOES work, like in Time Machine or the like. Can you let me know if that's possible? Thanks.

• Simon_T
    Simon_T
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. We’ve tried to go to the history of Mac Apple store and it doesn’t say download against the purchase of 1password. The button states upgrade.
    As for time machine we don’t use them on his Mac mini as it affected the performance.
    Now I’ve put more memory and a SSD in it isn’t too bad.
    But even myself using the same version of 1P 6.8.8 they were both the same. We didint (at for me until a few days ago) have a live account so both installs are running locally only.
    So I take it there is nothing I can do to return this to its previous state with nothing but these 1.pif files as we can’t download this old version?
    Rgds

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simon_T - let's have a little closer look, first. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your dad's Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/446081#Comment_446081
    • Your forum username: @Simon_T

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Simon_T
    Simon_T
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, #WLE-21131-449
    Just one thought
    This will be a diagnostic report on the rebuilt OS on a new SSD seeing as the old HDD failed.
    This may very well show an install of 6.8.9 which doesn't seem to allow us to use the backup file.
    I think my point is, 6.8.9 will ask for files that you cannot export from 6.8.8, am I right? Seeing as I still have 6.8.8 on my own machine I've tried.

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Simon_T,

There was no change between the backups in 6.8.8 and 6.8.9. Let us know if the email you received didn't solve the problem.

This discussion has been closed.