Duplicated Logins

Options
lerbi
lerbi
Community Member

I recently changed to a 1Password Account rather than a one-time purchase (I hope that I'm not being confusing) The purchase was done on my MacBook. I signed in to my 1Password account on both my iPad and iPhone and now I have duplicates for all entries in all categories on both those devices. There are no duplicate entries on my MacBook. Using the latest version of the MacOS and iOS. How do I get rid of the more than 400 duplicate entries?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @lerbi

Take a look on the devices with the duplicates. Do you, perchance, still have a vault named "Primary" on them? If so, that is the cause of the duplicates. Tap Settings>Vaults>Primary>Delete Vault and that will eliminate the duplicates.

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

That did it. Thank you

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to help, @lerbi. :)

• BBal835
    BBal835
    Community Member
    Options

Great answer! I had the same issue today and this resolved it. It would be helpful to cover this in the setup process, and if it does, I missed it. Anyway, Thank You!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BBal835 - glad you were able to get things straightened out! Let us know if you have any further questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nekoninda - hey there. :) So, the way the 1Password 7 for Mac first-run works is, it looks for existing version 5/6 data/app. If it finds it, it will import that data into version 7. If you have an existing 1password.com account (or you create one as part of the upgrade process), it should import your previous data into your new account's vaults...but you can sidestep that if you make certain choices along the way.

For the record, "Primary" is your old, local, standalone vault. If you visit Preferences > Sync, you will see that it exists there in either "On My Mac" or "iCloud" or "Dropbox" (depending on how you used to have that in version 6). The Private and Shared vaults are part of your new 1password.com account. "Primary" was indeed the most-important vault...in a standalone setup. If you've got a 1password.com account, it's not needed at all -- which is why you've got duplicates, and why the solution you're reading here is to delete that vault: because it's not needed.

Does that mean that Private is not stored locally, but only on your website?

No. No more than using Dropbox or iCloud previously meant that the data was only on those servers. In all cases, you retain a local cache of the data, and there's also the copy on the sync server (in this case, 1password.com. Previously, iCloud or Dropbox).

If I delete Primary, will I be able to access my passwords when I don't have an Internet connection?

I hope my above answer gave the answer to this question away, but yes -- you will. You have a local cache of your 1password.com vaults. The ONLY thing you could potentially not have if you were without an internet connection would be any changes you'd made on other devices since the last time you synced this one. That's not a flaw of 1password.com, it's the nature of sync: when you launch 1Password, one of the first things it will do if you have a 1password.com account is to check the server for changes (and push any of its own). If it can't reach the server because you don't have an internet connection for whatever reason (airplane mode, out of range, whatever), then it will allow you to continue using the local copy and save the sync for the next time you DO have a connection. So if you've made changes on other devices since the last time you synced, you would not get those changes...but that's unusual, and not specific to 1password.com sync. Just remember to launch 1Password before getting on a plane, and you should always have the latest of everything.

Has v7 eliminated my option to use Dropbox?

No, we still sell and support standalone usage of 1Password 7 for Mac. But what you can't do (because there'd be no point to it) with 1password.com is store your account vaults in Dropbox. 1password.com is a data storage and sync service (it's also a lot more than that, but that's one of the main things it is). If you wanted to, you could create additional local vaults outside of 1password.com and sync them via Dropbox...but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, if you created a 1password.com account intentionally.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nekoninda - data for 1Password 7 for Mac is stored in:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/

The actual data file is inside the Data directory, other files are in other folders. I strongly recommend against altering the contents of this folder unless instructed to do so by one of us as part of a troubleshooting/repair process, which should not be necessary under normal circumstances. 1Password will sync changes made, not the entire file.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nekoninda

I do think I need to understand where my 1Password data lives and how to work with it.

I'm glad to see you thinking proactively about not only your online security but also the integrity of your data. But remember, 1Password's user base is quite broad at this point, and many of our users are nowhere near as computer-savvy as it sounds like you are. And we need 1Password to work for them, without them having to bone up on the intricacies of the /Users/Library folder and how it differs from the /System/Library folder, etc. In other words, part of our literal job is to make sure that 1Password "just works." Obviously there are always going to be bugs and edge cases, but it's really not needed to dive this deep into things from the user end -- and when you do, you're in an area where it's quite possible to inadvertently cause problems instead of fixing them. We can't stop you from experimenting, and at the end of the day, we don't want to -- your data is yours. But that's why I put "strongly" in bold, italicized font in my last reply: there's really no need to be going to this level of "the guts", if all you want to do is set 1Password up.

One of the great things about 1password.com accounts is that they DO "just work," the vast majority of the time. Even if you're a previous user of standalone 1Password, once you've taken the time to sign up for a 1password.com account and sign into it on one of your devices and finally transferred all of your data from older standalone vaults into your 1password.com account, everything after that should be dead simple: on other instances of 1Password on any platform, you can literally delete your old data (because remember, you already transferred it on that first device), Start Over as if you were a brand new user, and simply sign into your account, either by scanning your Setup Code or entering your credentials manually. That's it. Done. Nothing else to do, because you've already done the work of transferring your data.

Previously, signing into Dropbox and launching 1Password was not all you needed to do. After launching 1Password, you then had to select Dropbox as your sync method, and then you had to remember to choose the existing OPVault or Agile Keychain. if you forgot to do that and selected a new one, you could - and people often did - wind up with multiple sync keychains strewn across their Dropbox folder, with portions of their data in each one, and various devices syncing with different keychains. I'm glad you felt able to navigate it confidently and competently, but my point here in revisiting just a few of the ways in which things could go sideways with a Dropbox setup for average users is by way of contrast: with a 1password.com account, it is literally this easy on a new Mac or new user account on an existing Mac (or PC): install 1Password, launch it, and choose to sign into an existing account. Done. All data is imported automatically, sync is set, and you receive an email saying your account is now being used on a new Mac. That's -- really, I swear -- it, from the user end.

The ONLY exception to this would be if on these other Macs/other user accounts, you have yet more 1Password data that is unique only to that Mac/user account. If that's the case then yes, you'd have to go through the transfer process again. But if you have had the same data synced everywhere in the past, then you're already done: start over, sign into your account, finito.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nekoninda - we have put a great deal of thought and work into 1password.com, and it's our hope that the transition from standalone to an account will be the last time most people have to do any kind of major "need to know where everything is" operation/troubleshooting. Let us know if your experience is different. :)

• dpmac
    dpmac
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem as the initial poster had. Duplicate logins only on my IOS(iPad). I ckecked for a primary vault and it is there however ir is

• dpmac
    dpmac
    Community Member
    Options

***My apologies**** posted my comments before finishing......it is greyed out and i cannot select it to delete it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dpmac - if you want to delete a Primary vault in 1Password 7 for Mac, please open Preferences > Advanced and UNcheck the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." Do this ONLY after you've made sure you've moved/copied any needed data out of the vault, and that anything remaining in Primary is not needed.

• Red2
    Red2
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I have a related problem. I recently upgraded to 1Password7, and then noticed most of my logins were duplicated. I noted that some said they were Primary and some said Personal. So I went about deleting those that indicated Personal and retained those that said Primary. I got part way through this and then stumbled on this forum which seems to indicate that I should have simply deleted the Primary vault. So now that I have gone about half way through this, deleting perhaps the wrong items, what do you recommend that I do next. I don't want to lose any of my login items.
    I don't recall reading anything about this during the upgrade from 6 to 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Red2 - if you removed all the items that were in your Personal vault, then you essentially un-did the migration of your data from your older standalone vault into your new 1password.com vault. "Primary" is the default name of the first vault a user creates in standalone 1Password. When you create a 1Password account and add it to 1Password for Mac, the vault is called Personal (or Private, depending on the account type you chose). Part of the process of adding an account and migrating to it is moving the data over...and then removing the older, no-longer-necessary Primary vault and all its items.

The first thing to check is simply the trash in 1Password 7 for Mac -- you say you deleted these items, but did you empty the trash? If not, you can just restore the items right from within the trash, to their previous location. If that's not possible because you emptied the trash one or more times since you began this mass-deletion, then one of the advantages of your 1Password account is individual item history: you can sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com and restore items that way.

The more problematic issue is your Primary vault. Since you didn't delete it after adding your 1password.com account and migrating data, it's entirely possible - even likely - that you may have been adding/editing items in both vaults. If so, you'll want to capture all of the items that you've changed in Primary since you migrated, and move those over into your Personal vault in your account, before deleting the Primary vault. To do this, click Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary, then set the sort order at the top of the item list in the main 1Password window to "Date Modified." This will give you a date-descending list of when items were added/modified. Select all items that have been modified or added since you added the 1Password account, and use these instructions to move those items from Primary ---> Personal. Once you've done that, click 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove your Primary vault. Make sure you remove Primary on any other devices on which you run a 1Password app -- if you haven't already.

This discussion has been closed.