Why am I unable to create new logins on 1Password 7?

asdfprou
asdfprou
Community Member

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.3 and recently installed 1Password 7.
I synced over my 1Password 6 logins but now I can't create new logins on 1P7.

When I look at the "File..." menu dropdown, everything from "New Item" through (inclusive) "Import" is greyed out and not selectable.
In 1Password X helper, it tells me to "install the extension" even though I've already installed it in Chrome.

A few screenshots below:
First - from 1Password 7 itself

Next - from the 1Password X helper

Lastly from the extensions page in Chrome

1Password Version: 7..0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:cannot create new login

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @asdfprou! I think we might need to get our nomenclature right before proceeding here, to avoid confusion. 1Password X is NOT the same thing as the traditional 1Password extension. As you see in your screenshot, the current version of 1Password's Chrome extension is 4.7.2.90. The current version of 1Password X is 1.8.2. Do you have both installed? If so, that may be causing some of the confusion.

However, if you can't even create or edit items in 1Password, I'm wondering if you're in Read Only mode? Do you see such a badge in your 1Password items (any item will show it)? Did you download 1Password 7 for Mac directly from our downloads page, or did you get it from the Mac App Store?

• brownmamba
    brownmamba
    Community Member

I have the exact same issue. I was forced to upgrade to 1password7 from 1password6 today because the safari extension disappeared. Now it has gone in read only mode, and asking me to subscribe to $2.99/month when I already have purchased a license originally for 1Password6? This is utterly ridiculous and is extortion!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @brownmamba! Sorry for the confusion. As a completely new, full-version upgrade, 1Password 7 for Mac requires either the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version (much like most software: new full-version upgrades require new purchases) OR a 1Password membership subscription. But the choice is up to you. Without one or the other of those purchase options, however, 1Password 7 for Mac will indeed be in Read Only mode, which means you cannot add, edit or delete any data, and you can't use the browser extension. You can still unlock your data with your Master Password and view it, and of course you can copy/paste data into web forms or elsewhere. You can also still export or print your data. But if you'd like to use the new version fully, you'll need to choose one of those options - a new license or a 1Password membership. Let us know if you have any questions.

• brownmamba
    brownmamba
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. What you are saying would make sense if version upgrade was a choice and not forced, by using tactics like removing Safari extension from the Safari AppStore. I can understand you not supporting 1Password 6 after some time, but still giving a choice because it was not free in first place. I’d rather go back to 1Password 6. Can you please provide me the link to manually download both 1Password 6 and it’s Safari extension? Thanks. I’m sure a lot of people will be in my position.

• Hi @brownmamba

To clarify the situation: Safari 12 and greater only allow installation of .safariextz-type extensions from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery. As of earlier this month, Apple's Safari Extension Gallery has been shut down, and is no longer available. As such it isn't possible to use 1Password 6 in Safari any longer. It would be necessary to upgrade to 1Password 7 to utilize 1Password in Safari.

You can download the 1Password 6 for Mac software here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#legacy-downloads
    But it is no longer possible to download or install the 1Password 6 extension for Safari. It would be possible to use 1Password 6 with other web browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox, if you want to continue using 1Password 6.

Regardless of this situation we'd have to strongly encourage you to consider upgrading. 1Password 6 itself has been retired and is no longer being updated. To continue to receive software updates you would need to upgrade to 1Password 7.

As Lars mentioned one of the big benefits of upgrading to a 1Password membership is that it includes access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices, whereas licenses (what you currently have) do not.

Ben

• brownmamba
    brownmamba
    Community Member

Thanks, I understand. So you don't see the need to a lateral porting of 1Password6 Safari extension to the new .safariextz-type extension considering these are also paid users? You had to do the same for 1Password7 also, didn't you? So why not provide the bare minimal functionality even without no future upgrades, instead of just dropping it?

• brownmamba
    brownmamba
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

"Using an older Computer?" ..Really?

Looking through other posts it looks like you had a promotional upgrade option of $49.99 for single user license which I never received. Would you be able to make it available so I can upgrade and be done with this? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@brownmamba - sorry for the confusion. .safariextz was the older-style that was used in Safari 11 and earlier. It's the external extension you must install as a separate download/install into Safari. All developers used this up through Safari 11. In Safari 12, Apple completely redesigned their extension format, which are now called Safari App Extensions. Safari 12 was the first to use these, but it was transitional -- Apple still allowed users to install the older .safariextz extensions as well. This is the type of extension that was used in 1Password 6 for Mac because it was the current format when 1Password 6 for Mac was also the current version. But as of Safari 13, Apple has disallowed the use of the .safariextz extensions used by 1Password 6 for Mac and previous versions. That means, if you installed Safari 13, you'll need to either upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac to continue to use Safari and 1Password together (version 7 has the newer SAE format of extension), or switch to either Firefox, Chrome or one of the Chrome derivatives like Brave or Vivaldi.

So you don't see the need to a lateral porting of 1Password6 Safari extension to the new .safariextz-type extension considering these are also paid users? You had to do the same for 1Password7 also, didn't you? So why not provide the bare minimal functionality even without no future upgrades, instead of just dropping it?

Two main reasons:

1. Security -- this means not only security with a capital S, like making sure new advancements with ciphers, etc are available, but also compatibility issues. Using older, retired versions of any of your mission-critical security software (and that includes macOS, browser(s) as well as 1Password), especially as you upgrade other aspects of your system around it, is a recipe for incompatibility-related problems that could result in all sorts of problems up, even data loss. Our recommendation is always for users to not rely on retired versions that are no longer receiving development attention.
    2. Coding -- the new SAE extensions are literally part of the main app. That's why they've got the same version number now as the app version, whereas in the past it was 4.7.5.90, etc. So it's not simply creating a new external extension and/or adding "hooks" for it into existing codebase. Part of the reason 1Password 7 for Mac is a full rewrite had to do with the scale of the changes required to implement SAE. The new extension format is awesome, and also more secure overall (not just with 1Password)...but it's not something that's easy or quick (or in some cases with even older versions, even possible) to implement into older codebase.

Looking through other posts it looks like you had a promotional upgrade option of $49.99 for single user license which I never received. Would you be able to make it available so I can upgrade and be done with this?

It's always available, in the version of 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded/installed from our downloads page. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only; if you want the standalone license, please do the following:

1. Quit all running browsers
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the installer, and run it.
    5. When you re-open 1Password after re-installation, everything should be the same as it was, only you'll see a Read Only badge in the top-right corner of any item in the main 1Password window. Click it to bring up the Purchase Options window, and you'll see the link to buy a standalone license from our FastSpring store:

Let us know if you have any further questions/issues! :)
This discussion has been closed.