Upgrading expired trial 1PW6 to 1PW7

Options
drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member

A few months ago, I began the transition from two older Macs (2011) to recently purchased MacBook Air 13"(late 2017) currently with OS 10.13.4. That also included the transition from the legacy applications that I have been using including 1PW3 v.3.8.21 to the current versions. Before, I was synchronizing 1PW3 with Dropbox until it stopped supporting my outdated Mac OS, though "1Password.agilekeychain" files on older Macs are still located in the Dropbox folders.

Initially, I thought that the transition may take about a month - so I was not ready to start using new Mac in real life, until I was sure that upgraded applications function normally and use my old data. On your advice, I moved my old "1Password.agilekeychain" file to new Mac and downloaded the trial of the current at the time 1PW6 (now v.6.8.9).

Everything went well after I followed your step by step instructions: 1PW6 read my old "1Password.agilekeychain" file, there was no data loss and I had complete access to all my logins. Because, in the mean time I continued to use my older Macs with 1PS3 modifying the data, I did not see any reason to setup the sync for the 1PS6 that I would have to update with the current "1Password.agilekeychain" file when ready to switch. I created a new folder under the "Home" folder outside iCloud or Dropbox syncing and selected "None" for Sync under 1PW6 Preferences. The plan was to move the current "1Password.agilekeychain" file when I am ready to switch and to reset 1PW6 on new Mac per instructions that you also provided.

My transition from the legacy software took much longer than I expected. Now, when I am ready to switch, the 30 days trial for 1PW6 expired and, of course, the current version is 1PW7. If I open the expired trial 1PW6 and click on "Click here to buy" - I get the window offering me to purchase 1PW6 for Mac for $64.99. Here are my questions:

1. Can I purchase and download the standalone 1PW7 and from where? Will it upgrade and activate my expired trial 1PW6 or I have to de-install trial 1PW6 first - how in this case will I use my current data on new Mac? Is the promotional offer of $50 still active?

2. Will 1PW7 be able to access my "1Password.agilekeychain" file from 1PW3 (as 1PW6 did)?

3. If the upgrade of the expired trial 1PW6 to 1PW7 possible, how would I transfer the current "1Password.agilekeychain" file from 1PW3 on older Mac: should I transfer and re-set 1PW6 first per earlier instructions and then download 1PW7 and upgrade or I should follow a different procedure?

4. To what location on the new Mac should I transfer from old Mac my current "1Password.agilekeychain" file if now I would like to sync with Dropbox? Should I put it directly to the Dropbox folder?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Hi drlevbk,

You should purchase 1Password 6 by choosing 1Password 6 > License... within the app. This license is actually a 1Password 7 license, and it works with both versions 6 and 7.

It's not recommended to have 1P7 and 1P6 installed at the same time, so when you install 1Password 7, it will zip up your older 1Password 6.app.

1P7 will not sync with the older .agilekeychain format. So, you should update your sync settings first, and convert to the new format. Using 1Password 6, you can do this by disabling and then re-enabling sync. The new vault format ends with .opvault.

You can put your .opvault sync file in the same place on Dropbox. Though, the new default location is ~/Dropbox/apps/1Password/

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member
    Options

I do not think that all my questions in the first posting were addressed. Also, I have some difficulty in following some of the explanations in the reply. So, if it is not much trouble, I would appreciate if you could look up my questions again and give me a bit more detailed response.

I understand now that I have to buy first the 1P6 license from within the expired trial application. But, if "This license is actually a 1Password 7 license, and it works with both versions 6 and 7" as you explained, why if I open the expired trial 1PW6 and click on "Click here to buy" - I get the window offering me to purchase 1PW6 for Mac for $64.99, not current promotional price for new 1PW7 license of $49.99. Also, I still do not know what page (link) I should use after purchasing 1PW6 license to download 1PW7 and upgrade from 1PW6 using this license at no additional charge.

Also, I am entirely confused (though it may seems very obvious to you) about the proper location for my "1Password.agilekeychain" file. As I already explained, initially when I transferred up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file from my older Mac with 1PW3, I was advised by Lars that I can put it anywhere and then follow the set up sequence on the first launch of the downloaded trial 1PW6. I followed this recommendation and set up the trial 1PW6 on new Mac with no problems. Because, I planned to replace later this "1Password.agilekeychain" file with the current "1Password.agilekeychain" file again and because the Dropbox was not downloaded yet, at that time I placed "1Password.agilekeychain" file in the new folder (I named is "Files") under Home folder outside iCloud and selected "None" for Sync under Preferences. Now, after I purchase the 1PW6 license but before I download and upgrade to 1PW7, I want to update "1Password.agilekeychain" file and set up Sync with Dropbox. I can do it in one of two ways but I am not certain if I should move the updated "1Password.agilekeychain" file to Dropbox folder prior to changing to Sync to Dropbox or 1PW6 would it itself as soon as I change the Sync option to Dropbox under Preferences.

First, I can enter a few modified or new logins manually (I should know which ones by sorting logins in 1PW3 on old Mac by "Date Modified" - there not too many since I initially transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" file. In this case, should I move the updated "1Password.agilekeychain" file to Dropbox folder prior to changing to Sync to Dropbox or 1PW6 would it itself as soon as I change the Sync option to Dropbox under Preferences.

Or, as I discussed previously with Lars, I can trash the outdated "1Password.agilekeychain" file in 1PW6 > transfer up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file from 1PW3 to the new Mac > reset 1PW6 > select Sync to Dropbox under Preferences. Where in this case should I put the newly transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" file on the new Mac: in the Dropbox Folder or it does not matter and 1PW6 will move it to the proper location in the Dropbox folder itself as soon as I change the Sync option from "None" to "Sync to Dropbox"?

Separately, I believe in the past, I usually got an e-mail notification when a reply was posted to my Comment. I did not receive an e-mail notification this time when the reply was posted on July 30th and had to look for the reply under "Notifications" after logging to the Forum. Am I wrong?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018
    Options

I’ll try to answer each of your questions as directly and with detail as possible, but I’ve also included instructions at the bottom of this post that I feel may be most helpful, even more so than the answers to each of your individual questions.

I understand now that I have to buy first the 1P6 license from within the expired trial application. But, if "This license is actually a 1Password 7 license, and it works with both versions 6 and 7" as you explained, why if I open the expired trial 1PW6 and click on "Click here to buy" - I get the window offering me to purchase 1PW6 for Mac for $64.99, not current promotional price for new 1PW7 license of $49.99. Also, I still do not know what page (link) I should use after purchasing 1PW6 license to download 1PW7 and upgrade from 1PW6 using this license at no additional charge.

1Password 7 is what is on sale. You’ll only see the sale price from within the 1Password 7 app, which you can download here:

Download for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux | 1Password

A more detailed explanation of the upgrade can be found here:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

If you have the ability to make the purchase in 1Password 7, I’d recommend doing so, as that is the only way you’ll get the sale price. I’m sorry for the confusion but if the goal is ultimately to be running 1Password 7 (as it should be) I wouldn’t buy a license from within 1Password 6.

Also, I am entirely confused (though it may seems very obvious to you) about the proper location for my "1Password.agilekeychain" file. As I already explained, initially when I transferred up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file from my older Mac with 1PW3, I was advised by Lars that I can put it anywhere and then follow the set up sequence on the first launch of the downloaded trial 1PW6. I followed this recommendation and set up the trial 1PW6 on new Mac with no problems. Because, I planned to replace later this "1Password.agilekeychain" file with the current "1Password.agilekeychain" file again and because the Dropbox was not downloaded yet, at that time I placed "1Password.agilekeychain" file in the new folder (I named is "Files") under Home folder outside iCloud and selected "None" for Sync under Preferences. Now, after I purchase the 1PW6 license but before I download and upgrade to 1PW7, I want to update "1Password.agilekeychain" file and set up Sync with Dropbox. I can do it in one of two ways but I am not certain if I should move the updated "1Password.agilekeychain" file to Dropbox folder prior to changing to Sync to Dropbox or 1PW6 would it itself as soon as I change the Sync option to Dropbox under Preferences.

As Chad mentioned Agile Keychain files are obsolete and no longer supported in 1Password 7. Is your current data in 1Password 6? If so you don’t have to do anything with the Agile Keychain. Just install 1Password 7 and it will pick up your data from 1Password 6. If you want to set up syncing you can do so after the fact:

Sync your 1Password data

If the latest data is not in 1Password 6 then let’s get it there. While 1Password 6 is locked select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data from the menu bar at the top of your screen. This will erase all data in 1Password 6 and reset it to defaults, as if you’d just downloaded it for the first time. Then double click on your Agile Keychain file that has all of the latest data in it. Then complete the upgrade to 1Password 7.

Or, as I discussed previously with Lars, I can trash the outdated "1Password.agilekeychain" file in 1PW6 > transfer up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file from 1PW3 to the new Mac > reset 1PW6 > select Sync to Dropbox under Preferences. Where in this case should I put the newly transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" file on the new Mac: in the Dropbox Folder or it does not matter and 1PW6 will move it to the proper location in the Dropbox folder itself as soon as I change the Sync option from "None" to "Sync to Dropbox"?

It doesn’t matter where you put the Agile Keychain file. 1Password 7 won’t use it anyway. Just double click on it, after resetting 1Password 6, if you need to do so (if the latest data isn’t already in 1Password 6).

Separately, I believe in the past, I usually got an e-mail notification when a reply was posted to my Comment. I did not receive an e-mail notification this time when the reply was posted on July 30th and had to look for the reply under "Notifications" after logging to the Forum. Am I wrong?

You can adjust your notification preferences here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

To be sure we’re clear, let’s start from the beginning:

If the data in 1Password 6 is not up to date

1. Quit 1Password 6
    2. Reset 1Password 6 (launch it but don’t unlock it, select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data)
    3. Copy the Agile Keychain that has the latest data in it over to the Mac running 1Password 6 and double click on this file
    4. Verify you can unlock 1Password 6 and that all of your data is present.
    5. Follow the steps in the next section

If the data in 1Password 6 is up to date

1. Quit 1Password 6
    2. Download and install 1Password 7
    3. Purchase a 1Password 7 license
    4. Verify you can unlock 1Password 7 and all of your data is present
    5. Set up syncing (if desired)

Wrapping up

Once completed you can delete any Agile Keychain files that are hanging around. They are no longer needed/used.

Ben

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Thank you for detailed comment and up to the point responses to my questions. Still, I would like to extend this discussion a bit further.

I am a lower power user of 1Password and have been using 1P on one platform with one primary vault entirely for logins/passwords. While using 1P for a few years (from 2011), I was completely satisfied with the performance and features of 1P3 and would continue to use it even now if it would be supported by current Mac OS. Having tried 1P6 (v.6.8.9), I feel that it offers everything that I need, particularly because the installation on my new Mac including Firefox extension went without problems and I would not have to deal for now with the potential upgrade issues experienced by some other Forum members. I also do not feel a need for a fancy layout interface or additional options. I would my preference to use 1P6 for a while as long as I retain the option to upgrade to 1P7 later at no additional cost. Do I understand it correctly, that, as Chad advised earlier, if I buy the license for 1P6 from within expired trial 1P6 (I understand that in this case I would have to pay extra $15 over the current the promotional $49.99 price for 1P7 upgrade), it would be good for 1P7 download and upgrade in future when I choose to do so, i.e. I will not have to pay for another 1P7 license, i.e. as Chad communicated: "This license is actually a 1Password 7 license, and it works with both versions 6 and 7).

Still speaking about the 1P7 upgrade. You provided the link for the download of the standalone 1P7 for Mac. But clicking on this link takes me to the page that offers only 1Password 7 Beta for Mac under "Feeling Adventurous" - I do not see the download option of the current v. of 1P7 on this page. Is it a right link?

Assuming that I will stay for a while with 1P6 on my new Mac after purchasing the license from within expired 1P6 trial, I am still not quite clear what should I do with "1Password.agilekeychain" file or what would happened to this file under two scenarios. Currently this file is in a separate new folder that I called "Files" under the home folder and outside of iCloud or Dropbox with the 1P6 Sync set to "None". It is not up to date. I have two options to bring it to the up to date status:

One, is to manually enter a few missing logins and passwords that were modified in 1P3 on the old Mac since I transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" to the trial 1P6 on the new Mac. In this case, do I need to move after updating "1Password.agilekeychain" file to Dropbox folder prior to changing 1P6 Sync to Dropbox from None or 1P6 would make this move itself after I point the current location of "1Password.agilekeychain" file?

Second, is to reset 1P6 on the new Mac and copy (transfer) current up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file from 1P3 on old Mac to new Mac. Where should I put the transferred up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file on new Mac considering that I want now to change to Sync to Dropbox - should I put it directly to Dropbox folder before changing the Sync option or somewhere else.

And, by the way, will resetting 1P6 effect the Firefox extension that I already installed?

Also, you are advising after resetting 1P6 to "Copy the Agile Keychain that has the latest data in it over to the Mac running 1Password 6 and double click on this file" while Brenty instructed me earlier to perform following sequence after resetting 1P6 (essentially repeating the setting up 1P6 after the first launch:

"If you have an up-to-date Agile Keychain file, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, then transfer that to your new Mac's desktop. Once it's there, you can put it wherever you like. At the Welcome screen when you first launch 1Password 6 for Mac on your new Mac, you'll be asked if you're a new user. Instead, under "Used 1Password before,"click More Options then Search My Mac. At the next screen, choose Pick a different location and then Choose a file on my Mac. Finally, click "Choose File" button at the next screen, and in the pop-up window, navigate to the 1Password Agile Keychain you brought over from your older Mac, and click Open. 1Password should lock and afterwards, entering your previous Master Password should unlock it for you."

Does double clicking on the newly transferred up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file after resetting 1P6 achieve the same purpose as the above sequence?

• Ben
    Options

@drlevbk

Do I understand it correctly, that, as Chad advised earlier, if I buy the license for 1P6 from within expired trial 1P6 (I understand that in this case I would have to pay extra $15 over the current the promotional $49.99 price for 1P7 upgrade), it would be good for 1P7 download and upgrade in future when I choose to do so, i.e. I will not have to pay for another 1P7 license, i.e. as Chad communicated: "This license is actually a 1Password 7 license, and it works with both versions 6 and 7).

Correct. It is valid for 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Mac for one individual.

I do not see the download option of the current v. of 1P7 on this page. Is it a right link?

It is, yes. I've highlighted the download button in this screenshot:

Assuming that I will stay for a while with 1P6 on my new Mac after purchasing the license from within expired 1P6 trial, I am still not quite clear what should I do with "1Password.agilekeychain" file

Please follow the instructions I posted above. :)

Does double clicking on the newly transferred up to date "1Password.agilekeychain" file after resetting 1P6 achieve the same purpose as the above sequence?

It achieves your stated goal of having your up to date information in 1Password 6 on the new Mac. ;) Once you've reached that point you can set up syncing with Dropbox. Even with 1Password 6 you'll want to use OPVault instead of Agile Keychain so if you note that setting up sync creates an Agile Keychain please see this guide:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain | 1Password

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.