Problems installing existing license on new MacBook Pro

Options
oldcabdriver
oldcabdriver
Community Member

Like a fellow who had this problem year ago I have a previous license and just got new MacBook Pro. I can't get past the "used 1Password before?" screen because none of choices work for me. The other fellow apparently was smarter than I am and figured out how to do it. Unfortunately, neither he nor the moderator explained what the solution was -- just that he had found one! This is really frustrating. I've been using application as long it has existed, and would rather not have to start from scratch or switch to a competing application that I have been able to install. Please tell me there way can continue use my 1Password license on my new machine.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 11.1.2 (13605.3.8)
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Like a fellow who had this problem a year ago I have a previous license and I just got a new macbook pro. I can't get past the "used 1password before?" screen because none of the choices work for me. This is really frustrating because I've been using this application for as long as it has existed, and I would rather not have to start from scratch or switch to another application. Please tell me there is a way I can continue to use my license on the new machine.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @oldcabdriver! Sorry for the troubles you're having getting 1Password installed onto your new MacBook Pro. If you're using El Capitan (which it seems like you are? I can't really tell, since you listed macOS 11.1.2, which doesn't exist yet!), then you'll need to stick with 1Password 6...but you should certainly be able to use at least one of the install options. Are you seeing this screen?

If so, and if this is a new MBP on which you've never used 1Password previously, then the next question would be: in your previous use of 1Password, how were you syncing your data between devices? Dropbox? iCloud? Something else? Or were you only using 1Password on a single device and not syncing?

• oldcabdriver
    oldcabdriver
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, that version of OSX ( 11.1.2 (13605.3.80) came from my mid-2011 MacBook Pro. I copied and pasted the version number from the "About This Mac" window again just now. I have no idea how or why my old computer shows a non-existent operating system number. My new, current build, MaBook Pro came withHigh Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G2208) . Today I deleted the installation 1Password attempt from my new Mac, restarted the computer and installed my existing version Version 6.8.9 (689000) that I apparently bought from the Mac App Store. The problem must have been that I tried to install the new 1Password 7 version -- which is designed to move people to the monthly account system. It seems to be working and syncing o.k. now, so I'll just stick with what I have and consider whether the other version is right for me. Thanks for your response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oldcabdriver - I'm glad to hear you've gotten things into a state you're comfortable with! However, 1Password 7 for Mac isn't "designed to move people to a monthly account system." If you download/install it from us instead of from the Mac App Store, you can purchase a license for version 7 and continue right along using standalone data and advanced sync via Dropbox or one of our other 3rd party methods. But the choice is yours. Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• oldcabdriver
    oldcabdriver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. I'll look into 7's improvements.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.