1Password on Windows does not protect exported files from Documents

Options
MikeA01730
MikeA01730
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

What can I expect re 1Password leaving information exposed on my device? As I recall 1Password does it''s best to not leak via the clipboard, but what about files created outside my view that are used to present content? E.g. on Android when I display a PDF (I believe) a file must be created to present the contents. How long does that file persist? Is it protected in any way? When it's deleted is it first overwritten? Are there other files or other information that may be accessible?

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @MikeA01730,

Thanks for writing in.

By default, 1Password doesn't write any unencrypted data (excluding certain metadata such as your account email used to sign in), just as every other 1Password apps. Read our article here for more details: https://support.1password.com/1password-privacy/

The only time when this isn't the case is when you export files manually from 1Password such as attachments. In this case, on Windows, there is no protection. You must have a full disk encryption enabled if you wish to protect the exported files. We have Windows' file system encryption (EFS) support you can enable in 1Password's advanced settings but it is limited to specific Windows higher-end versions (Pro, Enterprise) and it can lead to confusion due to not being able to back it up properly if you want to back up your files or move it to another computer.

1Password does not handle the security of files you export onto your drive.

This discussion has been closed.