Thinking about ditching keepass for 1Password - Questions!

Options

Hi There

I have been using Keepass for most of my like (had a small encounter with 1password a long time ago when i had a macbook).

My setup recently changed from Windows (home and work pc) - Android (phone) - iOS (ipad) to just windows - iOS (iphone/ipad).

I heard 1password was on windows (been under a rock it seems) and that it supported faceid/touch id on my ios devices and windows hello on windows.

I migrated all of my data (and spent a good number of hours making it pretier), and after a day of use on windows, i have some questions:

1) Is there a windows app equivalent to the shortcut (ctrl + alt + shift + k) in keepass to autofill?

2) If 1 exists, is there an option to tell 1password what app corresponds to what login? (Keepass was able to more or less know that, but if it got it wrong, i could create assossiations in the stored logins).

3) If 2 exists, can i modify the default info that should be entered? In Keepass pressing the autofill shortcut would paste the default (user and password, automatically), or whatever i programed (i could concatenate any number of variables from the stored login, and key presses/enter).

4) Some banks now work with DNI (social security number equivalent for Argentina), password and bank username. Can we alter webform autofill to indicate what to fill were or in what order ? Both banks i work with that have this special "bank username" have that field unfiled and i have to either type it manually or right click a 2nd time, right click the bank login entry, more, select the field i want typed.

5) Is there any way to edit a TAG so that it is renamed in all entries that use it ?

6) On the chrome extension, how can one perform the autofill shortcut if "\" is a special character that needs to be written using the "altGr" key?

That might be all for now.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hey @rcocchiararo! Thanks for giving 1Password another try and welcome to the forum! 👋

1) Is there a windows app equivalent to the shortcut (ctrl + alt + shift + k) in keepass to autofill?

There's no autofill in apps just yet, but you can use the type in window feature here. Open the app, place your cursor in the field you'd like to fill, then bring up 1Password mini with Ctrl + Alt + \ (or the shortcut you've set). Search for the Login item for that app, the right-click it, hover over the data you'd like to fill, and select the app under "type in window". This is just the beginning of filling in apps for 1Password for Windows, so it does have some trouble with some apps, but I've been able to make pretty heavy use of it even just with basic auth dialogues in my browser, so it definitely can be helpful.

2) If 1 exists, is there an option to tell 1password what app corresponds to what login? (Keepass was able to more or less know that, but if it got it wrong, i could create assossiations in the stored logins).

Since this isn't really autofill, app associations aren't stored in 1Password. You need to tell 1Password what window to type in either way, so there isn't yet much use for this data. Since this means there's nothing to modify, I'll skip your 3) here.

4) Some banks now work with DNI (social security number equivalent for Argentina), password and bank username. Can we alter webform autofill to indicate what to fill were or in what order ? Both banks i work with that have this special "bank username" have that field unfiled and i have to either type it manually or right click a 2nd time, right click the bank login entry, more, select the field i want typed.

In short, maybe. 1Password can fill any form fields it's able to save, but depending on how the form is designed, there may be a field it isn't able to recognize or forms it generally doesn't handle well. Most often, manually saving a Login from your browser can help 1Password cope with non-standard forms. If that doesn't work, though, let us know. We can't always wrangle these forms into filling properly, but we do try and I can definitely pass along problematic forms to our extension team to see if we can't make changes to fill them properly.

5) Is there any way to edit a TAG so that it is renamed in all entries that use it ?

Yes, but this currently only in the 1Password 7 beta. If you're sticking with stable, you can select the tag you want to edit in the sidebar, select one item with this tag, then press Ctrl + A to select all of them. Right-click the items and hover over Tags. Add a new tag using the field at the bottom of the tag menu, then right click again and choose Tags > Old Tag Name > Remove to remove the old version. This will achieve the same goal, though with a bit more work. If you want, you can give the beta a try. If you do, you can right-click a tag int he sidebar and select "Rename" to, you guessed it, rename the tag. :+1:

6) On the chrome extension, how can one perform the autofill shortcut if "\" is a special character that needs to be written using the "altGr" key?

In these cases, I recommend changing your shortcut. You can do so in Settings > General. Change that last character to one that doesn't require any modifiers to type. On German keyboards, for example, I see # being used instead of \ quite often, but you can pick whatever works for your keyboard layout. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.