Favorites are not sorted alphabetically [working as designed; considering possible improvements]

FuriousFan
FuriousFan
Community Member
edited August 2018 in iOS

Hi, how do I change the sort order of the records in the app? I'd like it sorted alphabetically and now it appears to be a random sort order. Thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 2.576
OS Version: iOS 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @FuriousFan

Items are sorted in alphabetical order. The order for categories is pre-defined in the app and isn’t user customizable.

Ben

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member

Hi Ben. The items within a category aren't being sorted alphabetically in my case. Any thoughts?

• My first thought is that is quite odd. Are there any spaces, special characters, etc at the start of the names of the items that might cause them to be sorted differently? If you create a new item named “AAAA” does it appear at / near the top of the list?

Ben

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member

No, nothing like that. But have noticed something that might help. I've realized that the only category not been sorted alphabetically are the Favourites. Do you why that category is sorted randomly? Thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

Favorites isn’t a category, it is its own thing. It is sorted a bit oddly, admittedly. If I remember correctly it is sorted in the order you added the items as favorites, on either a per-vault or per-account basis. It isn’t ideal, but there are some intricacies to be consdidered due to the nature / structure of favorites. We are looking at ways in which we may be able to improve that in the future.

Ben

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member

Favs are in alphabetical order on the PC version of the app so that's why I was surprised it didn't function similarly on the iOS version even though I know they are programmed in a different language. Cheers

• Indeed; ideally we’d at least be consistent.

Ben

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Hi @Ben I run 1Password on macOS and iOS (using the Cloud service) and there is definitely some favourites sort order & syncing weirdness going on here.

On macOS, the sort order was (I think) recently changed to mandatory alphabetic (or reversed alphabetic). Despite this, the drag and drop gestures have NOT been removed from the favourites UI. So you can try to manually re-order your favourites with the mouse, but it is immediately forced back to alphabetic.

So someone has left stale UI code in. But it gets weirder. Dragging favourites around on macOS changes the favourites display order on iOS! However it doesn't do it in any discernible pattern - it is semi-random.

So my macOS favourites are now sorted alphabetically (fine by me) but my iOS favourites are now in random order, and I can't get them back in alphabetic order, like they once were. Plus you have dead code in the macOS client. Perhaps someone could look at this.

BTW deleting all my favourites and recreating them is not a viable workaround. The iOS favourites do NOT appear in the order I (re)create them, if I recreate them on macOS. It seems to be random again.

Dave Ings

• Thanks for the feedback on this @ings. It is something we hope to improve. I will bring this up again with development on Tuesday.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.