Using Firefox and the new iOS 12 password autofill

halshak
halshak
Community Member

Super excited that 1Password is now more integrated into iOS however I don’t think it’s working right in Firefox on iOS.

No matter what site I’m on, it always insists that it wants to autofill my username and password for firefox.com.

I’ve included two screenshots of what I see. Same site, on Safari and Firefox.

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @halshak

It looks like Firefox has an associated domain setup for the Firefox app. So when the keyboard appears it'll fill the Quick Type bar with things for that associated domain (Firefox.com) rather than the domain for the current URL in the browser. If you tap the Key icon on the right, it should show you the correct logins for the URL in the address bar of Firefox.

• halshak
    halshak
    Community Member

@AGKyle Yeah, that worked, just sad that it requires a few more taps rather than just one. But I’ll live. :)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@halshak Sorry about that. I don't think we have any control over this. It's possible maybe this changes in future iOS updates. I suspect it might make more sense for Firefox (and other 3rd party browsers) to make some feature requests around this with Apple. So I'd encourage you to get in touch with Firefox support to let them know that you'd like some changes in this functionality. We may make similar requests but it doesn't directly impact us as there's a workaround for us (the Key icon), while this technically works for the browser as well, it might make sense for Apple to show both the associated domain AND the domain for the web view in some logical way.

• halshak
    halshak
    Community Member

No worries! I thought maybe it was a bug. Like I said, the additional taps aren’t the end of the world.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Doesn't hurt to try to make things better though :)

• thomasvochten
    thomasvochten
    Community Member

Strange thing is that it actually works in Chrome, which is also a third-party browser...

• It appears Chrome doesn't define an associated URL whereas Firefox does.

Ben

• thomasvochten
    thomasvochten
    Community Member

Firefox people confirmed they will release a fix in the next version...

• swapnil
    swapnil
    Community Member

Hello everyone, I want to implement autofill password functionality in my app. How can I implement this functionality in my app, please help me!

• Hi @swapnil

Password AutoFill is an iOS feature provided by Apple. This question would likely be better directed to them, but I can say they do have some excellent documentation on their developer website:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/

In either case we're a bit off topic here. This thread is about Password AutoFill in Firefox.

Thanks.

Ben

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Firefox people confirmed they will release a fix in the next version...

@thomasvochten - According to this roadmap for Firefox on iOS, Autofill for passwords is coming in December (in V15.0): https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_for_iOS_Train_Schedule

However, I hope you're right - and it's coming in the next version (released this October) - because I really want to use this feature in Firefox on my iPad. :+1:

• @pbryanw

I don't have any insider knowledge, but that may be a reference to their own password management feature built-into Firefox, rather than the iOS 12 Password AutoFill feature.

Ben

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@Ben - Ah, thanks - that makes more sense come to think about it. :blush:

So, hopefully, this issue with iOS autofilling should be fixed in the late October release (fingers crossed) :+1:

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.