How can I adjust a generated password's parameters directly in the web browser?

I'm trying to change a password to a newly generated one within the browser, but the generated password contains symbols that aren't allowed by the website. Is there a way to adjust the generate password parameters within the website? Or do I have to copy in the old password, generate a new one within the app, and then copy that in manually as the new password?

I've tried this on both my iPhone XS and Windows computer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12 & Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @eemas91

I understand the situation but I’m not sure I understand the question. There isn’t currently a way to define which symbols should be included (or excluded) in passwords generated by 1Password, and it isn’t possible to adjust the receipe for generation after filling into the website.

I realize this isn’t ideal, but what I typically do on such restrictive websites, is set the symbol slider to 1, and then slide it back and fourth between 0 and 1 until an accepted symbol is generated. We are looking to improve this process, and the password generator in general.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• eemas91
    eemas91
    Community Member

Hi @Ben - Attached is a screenshot of what I see when I try to generate a password directly on the website page in a browser. What I'm wondering is whether there is an option to access the sliders directly from the browser. Or would I have to generate the password within the app, adjust the sliders, and then save and copy that password into the browser.

• @eemas91

I appears you are using 1Password X. I’ve moved your question over to that section of the forum and have asked my colleagues with more experience on that subject to take a look. Thanks!

Ben

• @eemas91: There isn't an option to access the sliders from the inline menu. Suggested passwords are designed to work with most sites, but when you run into a picky one or just want a more specific recipe for a given site, you'll need to use the full generator. As an FYI, though, you don't need to copy/paste from the generator. There's a fill button in the generator as well so you can fill that password directly.

Additionally, I can tell from your screenshot you did exactly what I did at first – clicked that .. and selected Password Generator thinking it would pop open the whole UI. Obviously I found that a bit confusing too, I think we could improve things to make it clearer what that selection accomplishes. I'll be sure to pass some feedback along to the team on the front. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.