To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

More 1Password Installation Problems.

Options
glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

Draft!

Comments

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Today I was assisting a friend who wishes to migrate her 1Password data from an older standalone version of your software to the newer subscription model. Of course, as I should have anticipated, I ran into problems with the installation. Perhaps if I outline the steps I followed, you will be able to tell me where I erred and what I must do to remedy the situation.

On her MacBook Pro:
    1. I downloaded version 7.1.2 of 1Password 7 from the Apple Store and I installed the software onto her computer.
    2. I migrated the 1Password data from her "Primary" vault from version 6.8.8 of 1Password to the "Personal" vault of the newer software.
    3. After verifying that all of her data had been transferred successfully to the new vault, I eliminated the "Primary" vault on her computer.
    4. I then went online to https://my.1password.com and used her credit card to pay for a 1Password annual subscription. While there, I also downloaded the 1Password "Emergency Kit" to her desktop so we can make copies of it for safekeeping.
    5. I then trashed version 6.8.8 of 1Password from the Applications folder on her Mac.

On her iPhone:
    1. I downloaded and installed version 12 of the iOS onto her phone.
    2. I downloaded version 7.2 of the 1Password software from the Apple App Store and installed it on her iPhone.
    3. I tried to use the scanner code from a printed copy of the 1Password "Emergency Kit" to set up the 1Password account on the phone but the phone would not accept the scan code.
    4. Next, I tried to set up the 1Password account on her phone by manually entering all the information, bit by bit, from the "Emergency Kit" into the new 1Password software. These "bits" were not particularly "agile". It was rather a painstaking process.
    5. The phone's "Personal" vault then indicated that the correct number of items had been moved into it but only one of these items is showing up on the phone. Where are the others?
    6. Okay, by now I have a headache and it is well past my dinnertime. I will have a rematch with my friend's iPhone once I hear back from you.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. I tried to use the scanner code from a printed copy of the 1Password "Emergency Kit" to set up the 1Password account on the phone but the phone would not accept the scan code.

@glindsey: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell me what you mean here? What was the error you received?

1. The phone's "Personal" vault then indicated that the correct number of items had been moved into it but only one of these items is showing up on the phone. Where are the others?

This sounds like you migrated data on the iPhone, but earlier you mentioned doing it on the Mac. Can you clarify?

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, don't laugh. I was tired and when I tried to scan the code, I held it between the four corners that appeared on the screen. But was I supposed to push a button and take a picture? This is probably a user error and not a fault of the software.

Yes, my friend's Mac is set up correctly and the vault on the online site corresponds perfectly to what is on the Mac in her Personal vault. Now what I was thinking is that once I entered the 1Password information, either by the scan or manually, that all the data would automatically migrate to the phone. Did I miss a step?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glindsey: Sorry, I can't help but laugh, but that's because I've done the same thing, god help us. :lol:

If I'm understanding you correctly though, you didn't do anything wrong. But maybe you were in a different context. What did you see exactly when trying to setup the iPhone? It sounds like maybe you setup a second 1Password.com membership there, which would explain why you're not seeing the same thing as on the Mac. If you sign into 1Password.com in a web browser, do you see all of the data there? Don't worry, we'll get it sorted out. :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, good news! My friend swears all of her 1Password data now is showing up on her phone! Whew! FYI, I just had her shut off her phone for a few minutes and then relaunch the 1Password application, and everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for your help, brenty. I will let you know if there are any more issues, but knock on wood, I think everything is okay now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. I'm not sure what might have happened there (perhaps it just took a bit for the data to download), but I'm really glad to hear that all is well. Hopefully you won't have any other issues, but no matter what we're here if you need us. Enjoy your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.