To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading 1PW 6 > 7 Family: underwhelming experience

Options
philbee
philbee
Community Member

This is not a tech support question insofar as things currently seem to be working, but I have to say that "upgrading" our separate 1Password 6 App Store (macos and iOS) licenses to a 1Password 7 Family rental has been a pretty underwhelming affair so far.

On my wife's Mac, I have been utterly and completely unable to import the iCloud-synched old 1Password keychain. It was never found, never asked for anything, importing options were turned off.

After a few wasted hours and a mail to Agilebits that was never answered, I unzipped 1PW 6, opened it, and exported a .pif file which I then manually imported into 1PW7. Definitely not what I'd call a smooth or premium experience, and it made me regret a) getting on the software rental plan and b) not exploring alternatives to 1PW better. We've used 1PW for so long, maybe it's time to look somewhere else. If I have to do the data transfer by hand anyway, because 1PW seems unable to take advantage of having all the necessary informations at hand, might as well switch to something else.

Now this morning I restarted my Mac, and had a surprising new entry in the Dock: a "1 Password Updater" app. Along with it came this lovely and even more surprising warning (translated from german, so it's probably not the exact english wording): "Update failed. Unable to determine which version of 1 Password is installed".

This is moving from dumb into truly ridiculous territory, IMHO. Is that the level of quality Agilebit prouds itself of?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philbee: That's a new one to me, but it makes sense that you might have some conflicts having multiple copies of 1Password around. I'm not really sure what you want me to say, and frankly it's impossible to do more than speculate, but based on your description I suspect that's what happened. I suspect that if you remove all copies of 1Password, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy of the version you intend to use going forward that you won't encounter that again. Let me know either way.

Regarding the the iCloud thing, if you didn't have that setup in 1Password 7, it would have no way of importing it into your account. You'd have to setup the app with your existing data (iCloud is one of the options during setup) and then you'd have it to be able to migrate to an account directly.

One thing could account for both issues though: both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password were setup on that Mac in the past. These would both have separate support folders as well as being different apps, and there's no way for 1Password 7 to know which is the "correct" one when you installed it. Hence the confusion about the vault, and likely the updater as well. Anyway, I'm sorry for the inconvenience that caused, and hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you without multiple apps/databases going forward. Have a great weekend! :)

• philbee
    philbee
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your time!
    Is "having multiple copies of 1PW around" not the expected behaviour when someone switches from 1PW/AppStore version to 1PW7/agilebits?
    As to iCloud – I'm pretty sure I never saw that option anywhere, or I wouldn't have complained.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your time!

@philbee: Hey, you're very welcome. It's what I'm here for! :chuffed:

Is "having multiple copies of 1PW around" not the expected behaviour when someone switches from 1PW/AppStore version to 1PW7/agilebits?

Generally one 1Password is all you need, so no it isn't typical or recommended to have multiple versions. ;)

The good news is that even if you or your loved ones end up installing 1Password 7 from different places, we've gotten it so that they can both use the Mac App Store version's support folder, so there shouldn't be any issues with different databases (though having multiple copies of the same app is still problematic).

As to iCloud – I'm pretty sure I never saw that option anywhere, or I wouldn't have complained.

It's one of the "Used 1Password before" options on first run:

However, if my theory is correct, and you had one version of 1Password which had been setup already without iCloud, it's possible the new app found that database and used it instead.

Anyway, I'm glad that all is well for you now, but if you or your loved ones need anything, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.