2 factor unreliable in Chrome (and lack of backup option)

Options

Hi,

We're evaluating 1Password for work. I see 3 issues right now:

1) 2FA is not reliable in Chrome (both website and Chrome extension) - a couple of times it refused to accept the 2FA code until I reloaded the page and tried again.

2) Now it is not requesting a 2fa code at all on Chrome (web or extension). But it is on Android (and that is working OK)

3) There does not seem to be a backup 2FA option (eg to email or SMS) for when you damage the 2FA device app (eg phone reset, app reset)

I'm veering towards one of your competitors right now, but in the interests of fairness, I'm happy for you to see if you can respond to the 3 problems above - all 3 are showstoppers for me.

Cheers :)

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chrome (web and extension)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, We're evaluating 1Password for work. I see 3 issues right now:

@TJWatts: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry for the confusion here. Happy to help. :)

1) 2FA is not reliable in Chrome (both website and Chrome extension) - a couple of times it refused to accept the 2FA code until I reloaded the page and tried again.

Two-factor authentication depends on having both the correct TOTP secret and accurate time/date/zone settings on your device. The code generated will be invalid otherwise, so please check your settings.

2) Now it is not requesting a 2fa code at all on Chrome (web or extension). But it is on Android (and that is working OK)

If you've already authenticated on that device, it should not request a code unless you either reset the device/browser, or manually deauthorize the device in your account settings.

3) There does not seem to be a backup 2FA option (eg to email or SMS) for when you damage the 2FA device app (eg phone reset, app reset)

You can backup your TOTP secret, just like you do your other account credentials. That will allow you to set it up again on a new device if yours are all lost, stolen, or destroyed, so that you can sign into your account again.

I'm veering towards one of your competitors right now, but in the interests of fairness, I'm happy for you to see if you can respond to the 3 problems above - all 3 are showstoppers for me.

Hey, thanks for giving 1Password a try in the first place! If you have any questions, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.