Safari Extension is Missing on the extension list of safari preferences pane

eodabas
eodabas
Community Member

Hello,

Safari extension stopped working all of a sudden. 1Password pop up asks me to enable the extension at the preferences but it is also missing there.

This happened once more before, I resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling 1password completely but I don't want to do it anymore. Any ideas what else can i do to resolve this.

Here is a 1 big screenshot summarising the problem.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: Team

Comments

• eodabas
    eodabas
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Well, I think I found the cause for the problem: Earlier I posted about extending List of Supported Applications and was guided to the following file:

Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCommon.framework/Versions/A/Resources/bundleid_to_url.json

So I've edited this file to extend the list of supported apps.
    (See: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/450803/#Comment_450803)

But apparently this does not work anymore. When I edit the bundleid_to_url.json file, the new safari 12 extension stops working. (Chrome and Firefox running fine). I believe this is a security precaution to prevent malicious modifications to the files in the app itself. It unfortunately rendered my beautiful hack useless.

Any thoughts or ideas? Alternatives suggestions?

• Dornette
    Dornette
    Community Member

I have this problem, too. Safari Extension has gone missing, and there is no Safari button on Install Extensions page. This makes 1Password too cumbersome. Help!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You're on 1PW 7.2.1 and Safari 12, right.

Apple has made changes with extensions, no longer allows extensions from third-party sources. That's why the extension has disappeared from the 1Password page. Extensions can currently be downloaded from Apple's Safari extensions but even that is going away, if I remember correctly.

Instead, extensions will be part of the app itself, and this is what's happened with 7.2.1. If you go to the Extensions tab of Safari preferences, you should see the 1PW extension 7.2.1. It may be disabled initially, so you would have to enable it.

Just possibly (I'm just a user, and I can remember lots of things but not everything) you might have to remove the old extension, quit and restart Safari or 1PW, and the like. But I don't think that should be needed, as long as you are on Safari 12 and 7.2.1

If you are still on High Sierra, you can download 7.2.1 manually, but it may not show as an update yet, as AgileBits want to introduce it in stages, beginning with those using Mojave who have to be on Safari 12 and later doing it for users on High Sierra, who may still be on Safari 11.

• @eodabas,

To add to @danco's comments, Safari will also refuse to recognize the extension as valid if the enclosing app has an invalid code signature, modifying Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCommon.framework/Versions/A/Resources/bundleid_to_url.json definitely invalidates the code signature.

• eodabas
    eodabas
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@danco I'm on mojave already, I've tried almost everyhing, removing, readding even restarting osx completely with no avail. When I notice that the extension goes away after I modified bundleid_to_url.json file, my initial assumption that was it was about something related to code verification and thankfully, @rudy clarified as it is.

I even tried to install the old extension at https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C manually although I already know it is not supposed to be working with 7.2 anymore.

So, I'm stuck. My question now here is: Is there any other way to manipulate/extend supported apps other than modifying bundleid_to_url.json?

By the way, I must say modifying this file still works to extend supported apps. But now it brokes the safari extension. So maybe if I quit using safari, I'm still good.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@eodabas - you can certainly give that a shot, though I'd just offer a word of caution: hacks, beautiful or otherwise, are definitely not supported in 1Password, so not only can we not offer advice or support for them, they may wind up breaking at any time for any reason or change to either 1Password's or (as you've seen) Safari or macOS's code. If moving to a different browser is less of a pain for you than not using sudolikeaboss or other terminal options that aren't covered by our own CLI, then you're welcome to give it a go, and we'd even be interested in hearing how it goes.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

This issue with the Safari extension not being available is frustrating. I remember something came up as I was installing 1Password 7.2.1 (trial version) regarding a change in settings that was necessary for the extension to work, and I did what was instructed, but can't remember what it was to try doing it again. The extension was visible in Safari 12 (OS Mojave) at first, but it disappeared (and is not listed in Preferences, Extensions), and now entering passwords in Safari is impossible. I have the 1Password Mini in the Mac menu bar, but it doesn't work in Safari either (doesn't recognize website and password when it comes up). I've restarted computer and Safari several times. The 1Password app is in the correct (Applications) folder.I don't really want to uninstall 1Password, but will do it if someone can tell me it solves this problem, and also tells me exactly how to do an uninstall.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@dickl - I'm sorry for the trouble! There is no "trial version" of the 1Password 7 for Mac app specifically; the only trial is of a 1password.com membership, which it sounds like what you may have done. However, if that trial has expired (which it does after 30 days) or you remove your account from the 1Password 7 for Mac app and try to resume using standalone data, you'll be able to do so, but everything will be in Read Only mode, because version 7 is not paid for. If you don't either have a 1password.com membership that's signed into 1Password 7 for Mac OR a standalone license for version 7, you'll see a Read Only banner on all your items in the detail view:

Could that be what's happening here?

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

My membership has not expired. I just signed up for the trial membership a few days ago.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

I've had 1Password for years, and was using 1Password 6. I decided to try the subscription method, but I'm not sure I want to continue unless this problem can be fixed. I hope it won't be complicated to go back to 6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dickl - OK, thanks for the clarification. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you have installed now (and whether you have more than one installed)
    2. What specific version of macOS you're using
    3. What specific version of 1Password for Mac extension you have (or had) in your browser

Anything else that might help us narrow down the issue -- what specific steps have you taken, and what's not working the way you expect?

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

I only have 1Password 7.2.1 installed. I still have the Dropbox backup from my vault in 1Password 6. There was an option to save that and it's vault, so it is in 1Password 7.2.1, along with a new vault that includes copies of all the passwords I already had in 6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dickl - thanks. What version of macOS are you using, and what version of Safari? If you open Safari Preferences > Extensions what do you see there for 1Password?

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

Sorry. The steps I've taken were to restart my computer and Safari, and to check that my 1Password app was in the Applications folder on the Macintosh HD. These were step I've read from previous comments here. I also looked for the extension in Safari Preference, Extensions, and it wasn't listed.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

What isn't working is that I can't load passwords when I'm at the sign-in for any website. There is no menu icon for 1Password, and nothing comes in automatically (not sure how this is supposed to work in 7). The only way to enter passwords is to pull up the 1Password app and copy and paste.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dickl - if you don't see the 1Password icon in Safari's menubar, that means one of two things, generally: 1) you don't have a 1Password extension installed, or 2) it's not active. Can you please open Safari's Preferences > Extensions and tell me what you see there for 1Password -- if anything? Specific version, please.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

There is nothing in Preferences>Extensions for 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dickl: What version of Safari are you using?

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

Safari 12

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dickl: Please do the following:

1. Do a Spotlight search for 1Password
    2. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    5. Open Safari and enable 1Password in Preferences > Extensions

Let me know how it goes.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

'The item “1Password 7.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.'
    I've closed the app, restarted the computer, and still the above comes up when I try to put the app into the trash.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

I was able to trash the app after disabling the Helper. I've re-installed 1Password 7.2.1, but when I try to fill a website password by clicking on the extension, it comes on for just a flash, but quickly disappears.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

Ok, so I restarted the computer 3 times, and now the extension appears to be working. Thanks for your help. Since it was working initially on my first download of the app, I'll let you know if this happens again. Hope not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Sounds good. We're here if you need us. :)

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

I've lost the 1Password extension in Safari again. I guess I'll trash the app and start over like I did before, but I don't have any idea why this is happening. There must be a problem with 1Password 7.2.2 itself, since the extension is somehow embedded in the 1Password app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, that's a bit scary, and would be an issue either with Safari (for obvious reasons) or macOS (since its job is to enumerate the app extensions for any installed apps). Certainly installing a fresh copy of 1Password could get the OS to add the extension back to Safari, just as an app update would grab the latest package. But I'd be more concerned about what on your system may be causing that to happen in the first place, apparently repeatedly. The only connection it could have to 1Password at all would be if something were actually deleting it from the bundle...and then the app itself wouldn't work, since its code signature would then be invalid. So I really doubt that is the case. Instead, either something in Safari is damaged, resulting in it "forgetting" the extension, and the OS would not know to re-add it since it already did that; or the OS is, for some reason, telling Safari there is no extension for 1Password. If the problem persists, you may need to reach out to Apple for assistance.

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

I'm sorry I didn't get back earlier to read your post, but now that the Safari extension has yet again disappeared (not in the list of extensions that come up, so I can't simply enable it), I've had 1 Password since version 3 and have been very happy with it, but I'm getting pretty frustrated with 1 Password 7. Even though the problem may involve my OS (Mojave), this could prove to be complicated to address. 1 Password 6 was working just fine for me. How do I get that back on my computer? That would be an easier solution in my opinion. But that also negates any logic for keeping my new 1 Password subscription plan because I wouldn't want to update the app. How would I get 1 Password 6 back and cancel the subscription? I did keep my previous vault in the 1 Password 7 app along with the subscription vault, and I also still have the backup for the previous vault in Dropbox. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dickl: You can install 1Password 6 and use it with your original vault...but I'd recommend against doing so for a number of reasons:

• It's not going to get any updates
    • You'd only be able to use it with Safari for a short time, as Apple is killing support the old extensions -- possibly as soon as next month
    • Apple's new Safari App Extension setup has a few kinks, but everyone here and at Apple is focused on ironing those out
    • Based on your description so far, it sounds like you may actually have a problem with Safari itself, so reverting to an old version would not help you anyway if that's the case

Ultimately it's your call, but the odds of that really helping you are not good at all. We have some changes in the beta that might help. Would you be willing to try that and send us diagnostic information if the problem persists?

• dickl
    dickl
    Community Member

Yes, I'd be willing to try the beta if it could help with this issue. How do I get it, and would I let you know through this thread, or some other way?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dickl: No worries. I'll walk you through it. Just didn't want to dump a bunch of "do this" on you if you weren't willing. I really appreciate it! :)

1. First, Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    2. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app
    3. Make sure you don't see any traces of 1Password in Safari
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install the beta from our update site:
      https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7#beta
    6. Open 1Password
    7. Make sure that it is shown and enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions
    8. Verify that you're able to use it to fill logins

If anything at all is amiss, please generate a diagnostic report immediately so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#ZTM-59339-736]

If you’re reading this and you are not dickl, this Support ID is for dickl only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. And no matter what, seriously, thanks for your willingness to give us feedback on this so we can find a solution that works for you and others affected. :)

ref: ZTM-59339-736

This discussion has been closed.