How do I get my agilekeychain to move to an opVault?

Options
keno_
keno_
Community Member

I received a new mac and downloaded 1Password7 on it. I tried to connect to my agilekeychain in my dropbox account, but 1Password is unable to use that vault now as it's expecting it to be an opvault. How to I convert my old agilekeychain vault into the version? and will I then have to update the app on my other devices to use OPvault?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X High Sierra
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@keno_ - I'm sorry for the trouble! Yes, in 1Password 7 for Mac we decided to formally sunset the ten-plus years-old Agile Keychain format. It was wonderful in its day, but its successor, OPVault, has already been around for four years, and it was time to retire Agile Keychain. You should be able to convert it when you run 1Password 7 for Mac for the first time. If you chose Dropbox as your sync method, you can't -- because it's expecting a sync-able keychain, i.e. an OPVault. And if you had existing 1Password 6 for Mac data on your Mac, first run of 1Password 7 for Mac would've imported that, and notified you that the keychains needed to be converted. But since this is a new Mac, you'll need to do a bit of what would otherwise have been automatic yourself:

1. If you can get back out to the New User screen:

...choose "More Options" from the bottom of the screen, then choose "Create Standalone Vault." If you can't get to the new user screen because you've already done some other setup path, let me know what you see when you launch 1Password.
    2. Once you've got the Primary vault created, click File > Import. You'll see this:
    3. Choose 1Password Keychain. You'll be asked where the keychain is ("Choose File").
    4. Navigate to your Agile Keychain file in Dropbox, and select it, then import it.
    5. Click Preferences > Sync and choose Dropbox for your sync method.
    6. Do NOT attempt to select the Agile Keychain; instead, write out a new (OPVault) keychain to /Apps/1Password inside your Dropbox folder. If this path doesn't exist, create it. Give everything some time to sync - it shouldn't take long.
    7. On your other devices, turn OFF syncing (disable it), wait a moment or two, then turn it back on and connect to the OPVault you created above, instead of the Agile Keychain.
    8. On one of your devices, open the Dropbox folder and delete the Agile Keychain so it does not cause confusion in the future. You won't need it anymore.

Let me know how you get on! :)

• keno_
    keno_
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to uninstall 1Password 7 and installed 1Password 6 for now, and it works. I will need to think about upgrading to 1password 7 as it's a new license model.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@keno_ -1Password 7 for Mac isn't a "new license model," unless you mean: it requires a new purchase. That's indeed true, but we're definitely still selling standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac. You can also choose the other purchase option if the full cost of a new license is too big a bite right now, and that would be a 1password.com membership. That's actually (for most users) the best (most stable and robust) way to use 1Password currently. Every 1password.com membership comes with access to all four of our native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), including all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the membership. And best of all, it's only $2.99/mo when paid annually. You can even try out a 30-day free trial of 1password.com when you sign up. Hope that helps! :)

• keno_
    keno_
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, a new license model as there is a membership subscription. I was using 1Password across multiple devices before. But, I signed up for the membership and maybe I’ll add family members in the future who don’t use 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@keno_

Yes, a new license model as there is a membership subscription.

Nope, the same license model exists as has always existed (standalone licenses include free in-version upgrades while new full-version upGRADES require the purchase of a new license, and are sold per-person and per-platform).

1password.com is a new way to use and pay for 1Password...but it's not a "license model," new or old. We've got one of those. I'm sorry if this seems like semantics, but with the volume of questions and confusion surrounding just what is/is not required to use 1Password 7 for Mac, it's important for us to be as precise as we can be. I'm glad to hear you're checking out a 1password.com membership; I think you're going to love it. Let us know if you have questions or issues getting started with it, or check out our support pages for walk-throughs on most of the things you might want to know or do in 1Password. Cheers! :)

• keno_
    keno_
    Community Member
    Options

You’re trying to move from perpetual licenses to subscription based license models. You get different features with each of those.

It is all semantics, and by not saying you have two different license models and are actively trying to get people on perpetual licenses from the version they were on to an all-encompassing subscription is misleading.

I tried to get a copy of my old license, knowing that it would only work with versions before 7, but never received a response. I still might not stay after the free trial.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@keno_

It is all semantics, and by not saying you have two different license models

I'd agree that it's semantics to some extent, but the fact is we don't have "two different license models." We have the same license model we've always had, where you get an actual license to use a specific version of 1Password, and we also have a subscription/membership service, which does NOT give you a software license. We don't make any bones about either of these things; both exist, can be purchased, and will work with 1Password 7 for Mac.

I tried to get a copy of my old license, knowing that it would only work with versions before 7, but never received a response.

I'm sorry for the delay; with the recent simultaneous release of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows as well as the major macOS release, we've had a significant uptick in customer support requests. We're working hard to get back to our snappy response times, but as we answer customer inquiries in the order we receive them, there is indeed a bit of a wait, lately. I wish you'd mentioned in the beginning that you'd already contacted us via email, or at least mentioned that you wanted your old licenses. I'd have been happy to assist, you'd already have your previous licenses, and you wouldn't have had to do anything else! But instead, you indicated you were already on 1Password 7 for Mac and asked about converting an Agile Keychain to OPVault. I've resent your previous licenses out to you; you should have them shortly. If you don't receive the email, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

ref: DQI-12618-965

This discussion has been closed.