Different last modified date between iOS and Mac

Options
roguetrader
roguetrader
Community Member

I have a card saved under the "memberships" category. I have noticed that details on it are different on the Mac and iOS card. Also the last modified date on the Mac is not up to date (shows 2 June 2015 while theirs shows 19 July 2017, so it appears it did not get the change last made to the card that is showing on the iOS.
I sync using dropbox and have been able to test that any new cards I make on either device syncs to the other, so syncing is working.
I am now worried that there are more changes I have made that have not been synced.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Different last modified date between iOS and Mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @roguetrader! I'm sorry for the trouble with your Dropbox sync. If items don't seem to be syncing in a Dropbox setup, there could be a few reasons for that. Please check out this guide to make sure. Let us know how you get on. :)

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much. Yes, all of those things are done. I regularly update my MacOS and 1Password, usually on the day any updates are release.
    You will note that I make the following statement in my post:
    "I sync using dropbox and have been able to test that any new cards I make on either device syncs to the other, so syncing is working"
    If I didn't do any of those things in your suggested guide, I would not be able to sync any cards. Please, no platitudes.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

As an update. I have edited a card that is not synced and when I save it, it then syncs. The issue is I have seen a number of cards now that were historically changed at some point, and those changes never appear to have synced, nor are they being synced now. It appears that 1 password is only syncing edits and new entries. Is there a way to force the whole vault to sync again?

I run 4 Macs in various locations as well as a MacBook, an iPhone and an iPad. I run around 700 entries in a singe vault in 1Password, and don't wish to manually check each record at each location.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roguetrader - you're quite welcome. You will note that I made the following statement in my reply:

If items don't seem to be syncing in a Dropbox setup, there could be a few reasons for that.

Emphasis added to make it clear I did not say "if Dropbox sync isn't working." I read your post carefully, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy. Please, no assumptions. :)

What happens if you make a change now to one of the instances of the item? Don't change both, but please change something insignificant on the Mac version (add or edit a note in the notes field), and give it a while to sync (a couple of minutes should be sufficient), then check your iOS device. Is the note updated? If so, were the previously-missing edits added to the Mac copy of the note? If not, please add/change something on the iOS version, and let that sync back to the Mac. Let me know what you discover.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

Please see my prior post. Perhaps you did not see it as we sent at the same time.
    As stated, I can edit a card and it then syncs either way. The issue is that not all historical edits have been synced and I can not force the sync without editing the card.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roguetrader - thanks for the update, seems like we did indeed send our messages simultaneously. That sounds to me as if it may very well be an issue with Dropbox syncing itself. This article from their support may be of use to you; if not, you may want to check in with them. Dropbox syncing in 1Password is a three-legged affair; your internal 1Password data is a local SQLite file. When you choose Dropbox sync, 1Password will write out a keychain (OPVault lately, previously Agile Keychain), and locate it within your Dropbox folder. This is what 1Password actually syncs with: from the internal SQLite file ===> the sync keychain in your local Dropbox folder. Then we rely on Dropbox's sync API magic to sync that copy with its analogue on their server, where the reverse process can be carried out on other devices you sync your 1Password with: OPVault (or Agile Keychain) folder on Dropbox server ===> local OPVault or Agile Keychain file on your other device ===> internal SQLite database of that other device's 1Password app. It's a delicate process, and one we don't control all aspects of.

If you're looking for a more stable way to sync your data, I'd recommend a 1password.com membership. 1password.com accounts use our own servers and sync service, which allows us much more fine-grained control over all aspects of the process, so we're much better able to assist you in the rare situations when problems arise. And that's just one of the advantages of a 1password.com membership.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for the response.
    The article you directed me to talks about naming conventions on Linux, Mac and PC and syncing issues that exist. As the keychain is encrypted, I have not control over the naming conventions of this packet or the files it contains.

You mentioned that 1password writes out a OPVault keychain (previously Agile Keychain). The packet being synced in my Dropbox is still named 1Password.agilekeychain. Is this just a naming issue?

Im not that keen to have yet another service like a 1password account. I already run Onedrive, Dropbox and iCloud Drive so would prefer less locations to worry about not more. However it sounds like from what you're saying is that there is no way of re-syncing a file when it gets out of sync, regardless of the cloud service I use? Even if I was to move my file to a 1Password location, then I would still not know which one to move unless I was able to get the last modified card from all 6 locations that are supposed to sync?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks very much for the response. The article you directed me to talks about naming conventions on Linux, Mac and PC and syncing issues that exist. As the keychain is encrypted, I have not control over the naming conventions of this packet or the files it contains.

@roguetrader: We can't really speak to that. Dropbox handles all of it.

You mentioned that 1password writes out a OPVault keychain (previously Agile Keychain). The packet being synced in my Dropbox is still named 1Password.agilekeychain. Is this just a naming issue?

If you still have 1Password setup to sync with a vault in the old AgileKeychain format, that would explain why you're not seeing those changes reflected in an OPVault on other devices. All local vaults created with the current version of 1Password on any platform today will be OPVault, but if you're still using an AgileKeychain you'd need to set things up with an OPVault on all devices instead in order to use that.

Im not that keen to have yet another service like a 1password account. I already run Onedrive, Dropbox and iCloud Drive so would prefer less locations to worry about not more. However it sounds like from what you're saying is that there is no way of re-syncing a file when it gets out of sync, regardless of the cloud service I use? Even if I was to move my file to a 1Password location, then I would still not know which one to move unless I was able to get the last modified card from all 6 locations that are supposed to sync?

Correct. Neither we nor 1Password has any control over 3rd party services like Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, etc. It's up to them to sync the data if you're using one of those. But make sure that all of your devices are syncing with the same vault. It's entirely possible that Dropbox is syncing the data, just in different files.

I hear you about having multiple services, and it makes some sense to me...but that's sort of like saying we should use Windows on our phone, tablet, TV, refrigerator, etc. just because that's what we use on your PC at work. Certainly Microsoft would like that, and that was their goal for a long time, but there are different tools for different things. iOS is great because it's purpose-built for iPhones and iPads. So maybe it's helpful to think of 1Password.com as the purpose-built platform for 1Password. It's much more than just sync, but built-in sync is a fantastic perk of us building this. Also, if you look at it more as getting all of the apps and added features as part of the membership, it's still a good deal, and then not having to deal with sync configuration and troubleshooting is some real nice icing on top of that cake. :)

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

We can't really speak to that. Dropbox handles all of it.

You directed me to the article. Saying you therefore can't speak to it is ridiculous. What was the point of sending me to the article if you can't speak to it. In addition, 1Password are responsible for naming the file which is what this article is about. I as the end user have no control over the name of the vault that is synced which is why I pointed this out. Sending me to an irrelevant article about something in 1passwords control and then saying "I can't speak to it" doesn't sound like the best of support.

If you still have 1Password setup to sync with a vault in the old AgileKeychain format, that would explain why you're not seeing those changes reflected in an OPVault on other devices. All local vaults created with the current version of 1Password on any platform today will be OPVault, but if you're still using an AgileKeychain you'd need to set things up with an OPVault on all devices instead in order to use that.

I have been a 1password user for many years and have never created a second vault on any device. Please read the prior conversation. There is no OPVault on the other devices. I am seeing changes when they are made between devices. There is only one vault that is being accessed by all my devices. The issue is that at some point in the past, changes weren't getting synced and subsequently not all versions of my vault are the same. It appears there is no way to force the missed items to sync.

As for upgrading to a OPVault. I have read on your website that you are pushing everyone to pay for a new version predominantly through subscription. I do not want a subscription. As I see it the version I am running (6.8.9) stores passwords and a few other things. The new version stores passwords and a few other things. I really don't see a reason that I would spend more money to get a piece of software that does the same thing as the software that I have already paid for. Particularly when the free Keychain software provided by apple is now catching up to 1Password in functionality (or priority functionality). While I enjoy the quaint newsletter I receive from the 1password founder about his holiday activities, is not enough to make me want to buy a subscription.

I have noticed that this support forum is being used predominantly to "suggest" subscriptions. What I am really looking for is a way to ensure that the single vault I have includes all changes that may have been made on various apple devices, which I have noticed it does not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You directed me to the article. Saying you therefore can't speak to it is ridiculous. What was the point of sending me to the article if you can't speak to it. In addition, 1Password are responsible for naming the file which is what this article is about. I as the end user have no control over the name of the vault that is synced which is why I pointed this out. Sending me to an irrelevant article about something in 1passwords control and then saying "I can't speak to it" doesn't sound like the best of support.

@roguetrader: Nope. That's ridiculous. First, I didn't direct you to that Dropbox support article. Lars did. Second, we don't own or operate Dropbox, and, as such, we have no special insight into or control over their service. Hence, directing you to Dropbox support regarding a Dropbox issue. That's something they'd be able to help with, just as we can't fix issues with Photoshop, Windows, etc.

I have been a 1password user for many years and have never created a second vault on any device. Please read the prior conversation. There is no OPVault on the other devices. I am seeing changes when they are made between devices. There is only one vault that is being accessed by all my devices. The issue is that at some point in the past, changes weren't getting synced and subsequently not all versions of my vault are the same. It appears there is no way to force the missed items to sync.

I don't have any way of knowing any of that without seeing diagnostic information to corroborate it. You may be right. But again, Dropbox handles syncing data in Dropbox, so that's sort of beside the point. I mentioned it because it's a very, very common issue people have. If it happens to not apply to you in this case, you can disregard it and contact Dropbox for help with their service.

As for upgrading to a OPVault. I have read on your website that you are pushing everyone to pay for a new version predominantly through subscription.

Nope. 1Password 7 is available both as part of a 1Password.com membership and as a standalone license purchase, as mentioned in the announcements on our website:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

I do not want a subscription. As I see it the version I am running (6.8.9) stores passwords and a few other things. The new version stores passwords and a few other things. I really don't see a reason that I would spend more money to get a piece of software that does the same thing as the software that I have already paid for. Particularly when the free Keychain software provided by apple is now catching up to 1Password in functionality (or priority functionality). While I enjoy the quaint newsletter I receive from the 1password founder about his holiday activities, is not enough to make me want to buy a subscription.

That's fine. You can continue using the version you paid for as long as you have a compatible device/OS to run it on.

I have noticed that this support forum is being used predominantly to "suggest" subscriptions. What I am really looking for is a way to ensure that the single vault I have includes all changes that may have been made on various apple devices, which I have noticed it does not.

Yep. We suggest 1Password.com memberships because they're the best way to use 1Password. You may not want that, and that's fine. Just keep in mind that means eschewing benefits like seamless sync, which we do have control over and can address any issues with that since it's our software and service. Just like we have no control over whether or not you choose that, we have no control over Dropbox. That's nothing against Dropbox. It's a great general-purpose sync service that I've used myself for over a decade and continue to. And for the most part it's been reliable for me. If you're having trouble with it in your setup for some reason, I'm sure there's a solution. But you'd need to contact Dropbox support for issues with their sync service. The guide and suggestions Lars and I have offered already, all of which you've rejected, are the limit of our expertise with Dropbox. Sorry.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

If you're having trouble with it in your setup for some reason, I'm sure there's a solution. But you'd need to contact Dropbox support for issues with their sync service. The guide and suggestions Lars and I have offered already, all of which you've rejected, are the limit of our expertise with Dropbox. Sorry.

I think you are missing the point. The issue is that the files I have on my various devices and on Dropbox are not the same. There are cards within one password that have historically not synced. Dropbox is syncing and the is NO PROBLEM with how I am using dropbox or the way it is syncing at this point in time as I see all changes made NOW regardless of the direction of the sync. What I am looking for is a way to validate the 1password vault to ensure I get the most recent version of each item it is supposed to store as I have noticed inconsistencies of files that should have changed at a point of time in history.
    Even if I was to move my vault to 1password cloud service (which I am not), I would have the same issue. This is not a solution. There is no way to determine that simply by moving my syncing service provider that it would take the most recent item from each of my apple devices. In fact it is likely that I would lose items?
    Anyway, this seems like a sales forum more than a support forum. I think I have lost confidence in your product now as it doesn't do what it should.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roguetrader - I'd only add one thing to brenty's post. He points out:

The guide and suggestions Lars and I have offered already, all of which you've rejected, are the limit of our expertise with Dropbox. Sorry.

That's also part of the very first link I sent to you - this one, our troubleshooting guide for Dropbox sync- as well:

I do wish you well with your sync, but if you're looking for a better method that we can investigate, troubleshoot, and control both sides of, well, we have that, if you'd like it. Just let us know. :)

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

That's also part of the very first link I sent to you - this one, our troubleshooting guide for Dropbox sync- as well:

You mean the one Brenti said he can't comment on? t
    To be clear, I AM NOT HAVING ANY ISSUE WITH DROPBOX SYNCING!
    I AM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH !PASSWORD DEFLECTING! THE ISSUE IS THAT ITEMS WITHIN THE VAULT ARE NOT ACCURATE.

Sorry, I stupidly mistook this forum as tech support on the issue with your product, however it appears no-one there has any idea about how your product works and just blames dropbox. DROPBOX IS WORKING PERFECTLY!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Even if I was to move my vault to 1password cloud service (which I am not), I would have the same issue.

@roguetrader: I sincerely doubt it, but if that were the case, we could fix it.

I think I have lost confidence in your product now as it doesn't do what it should.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as Dropbox isn't our product that doesn't make sense.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as Dropbox isn't our product that doesn't make sense.

The issue isn't Dropbox. DROPBOX IS WORKING FINE.
    The issue is the data in the vault has an issue.
    But you guys are really good at passing the buck

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roguetrader: Did you even try anything we suggested? From your comments it really doesn't seem like it. I'm not sure what you expect to happen.

• roguetrader
    roguetrader
    Community Member
    Options

@roguetrader: Did you even try anything we suggested? From your comments it really doesn't seem like it. I'm not sure what you expect to happen.

I have tried every one of your suggestions. However the only thing you have suggested is buying a subscription for 1password. I do not want a subscription for 1password.
    The other documents you have sent are very simple and relate to file naming conventions, which you won't comment on and that I have no control over and a very simple help file from dropbox in the event that its not syncing (My dropbox is syncing).
    The other advise about editing cards to check wether sync is working has been followed. It is working! If I change an item it syncs immediately.
    The issue that I keep raising and you seem unable to address is that I have found HISTORICAL edits are not in sync. These edits could have occurred at some time in the last few years and there appears to be no way to force a sync on old items.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have tried every one of your suggestions. However the only thing you have suggested is buying a subscription for 1password. I do not want a subscription for 1password.

@roguetrader: Nope, I didn't suggest that.

The other documents you have sent are very simple and relate to file naming conventions, which you won't comment on and that I have no control over and a very simple help file from dropbox in the event that its not syncing (My dropbox is syncing).

No. The guide Lars originally directed you to has nothing at all to do with filenames and covers a lot of ground actually. Please have a look:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/470501/#Comment_470501

Based on everything else you've said, I don't believe that you've tried nearly everything there, if you even looked at it at all.

The other advise about editing cards to check wether sync is working has been followed. It is working! If I change an item it syncs immediately. The issue that I keep raising and you seem unable to address is that I have found HISTORICAL edits are not in sync. These edits could have occurred at some time in the last few years and there appears to be no way to force a sync on old items.

Indeed, that's good to know, but as you point out it doesn't make any difference retroactively. If at some point Dropbox didn't present those changes as new updates to the files, 1Password isn't going to second guess it. Resetting sync, however, as covered in the guide Lars directed you to in his first reply, would, but you'd have to follow through on that -- and I'd encourage you to do the rest of the troubleshooting first. Please try that, as, if nothing else, it will give you more information to go on when troubleshooting this with Dropbox.

This discussion has been closed.