Syncing 1password between Version 6 and Version 7

mikereaganmusic
mikereaganmusic
Community Member

Hello, I have multiple computers with different operating systems - mostly running Sierra or High Sierra, and those are using 1password 7 successfully. However, there are also computers running Yosemite and 1Password 6. The computers running 1password 7 are all doing so the new way, whereby they sync with the 1Password service directly. The ones using 1Password 6 are syncing the old school way, via the agilekeychain. I have disabled the version 7 Advanced Preference: Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. My question:
Is there a way to keep all the computers in sync between Version 6 and Version 7 computers? If so, will I be giving up any security to make that happen? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7, and 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6, 10.12.6, 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox for v6, and Agilebits for v7

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikereaganmusic, I'm going to leave it to others to help with exactly how to switch things over to the new way of synching with 1Password 6 for Mac. 1Password 6 does support it, so you should be able to get all of your data synching properly.

But I will comment a bit more on the security questions. First of all, the Agile Keychain Format was a fine thing back when it was first developed about a decade ago, but it really shouldn't be used today. Starting in 2012, we began to phase that out and replacing it with OPVault. If someone opts to sync data the old way, we strongly recommend that they do so using OPVault. But this shouldn't really matter to you, as you can convert to synching things using a 1Password membership.

You should be fine for the moment with the systems that you have, but you should expect that you will not be able to hang on to Sierra for long. You should not use operating systems once they no longer receive security updates. Note also that 1Password 7 runs fine on High Sierra, so you can move to it, but it will mean moving to Safari 12.

One of the security improvements in latest versions of 1Password 7 is how it talks to browsers, but this does require using the latest version of browsers, including Safari 12.

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, jpgoldberg - the info about the OPVault being a more secure option than the Agile Keychain file inspired me to convert the agile keychains to OPVaults on those computers stuck using 1Password6.

So now the challenge is: How do I sync the computers running 1Password7's subscription service to the computers syncing their OPVaults which are running 1Password 6? I have yet to find a solution online inside or outside of the forum.

Many thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikereaganmusic: 1Password.com and local (OPVault and AgileKeychain) vaults are mutually exclusive. You can't sync them with each other. Why not just use your 1Password.com account on all of your devices?

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty,
    The reason I cannot use one password seven on all of my devices is because some machines are running Mac OS X Yosemite, which is not compatible with 1Password seven. I would upgrade these machines, however the audio software that I am using on them is more stable in the year somebody environment, preventing me from upgrading to Sierra or High Sierra

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikereaganmusic: Sure, but you can run 1Password 6 on Yosemite, and that also works with 1Password.com accounts. Have you tried that? :)

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty! We keep getting one step closer to making this all work - so many thanks.
    Ok, so I've now signed in so that my 1password 6 machines now show my subscription :-)

So next step would be syncing vaults or something between 1pass 6 and 1pass 7? The reason I ask is because after signing in on the 1pass6 machine under accounts section of preferences (which does in fact show my subscription), I'm not seeing the latest login entries that were created on the 1password7 machines - so 1pass7 and 1pass 6 machines aren't syncing. When I click Sync on the 1password6 machines, they'reset to "Sync Primary vault with NONE", and it says the last sync was 6 days ago.

We're almost there, so one more round of help oughta do it. Please advise, and thanks!

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

FOLLOW UP TO ABOVE:
    Hi Brenty, so it would seem now that I"m able to reproduce the following:

1password 7machine: I create a new login and hit save, and I immediately see the login appear on the 1pass6 machine, so that's great.
    1Pass6 Machine: I create a new login and hit save, but the login does not appear on the 1pass7 machine :-(

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

I think I may have figured it out. There's a preference in 1pass6 under ALL VAULTS that allows you to select a Vault for Saving. That did the trick!

OK - hopefully the last question: Once I've signed in on all my 1pass6 machines and set the Vault for Saving to the proper one, can I delete the old Primary Vault? I don't think it's needed since I have a family plan now under 1Pass7. I also can't find a way to delete it, as there is no "Primary Vault" listed when I sign into the 1password.com website.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikereaganmusic: That does sound like progress! Thanks for the update. Before we get too excited though, check something for me: if you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you see all of your data there? If so, then yes, it is safe -- and recommended -- to remove the Primary vault (which is not part of any account, and stored only on the device) to avoid future confusion. Just disable the local vault option in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Advanced and you should be all set. But if you have any other questions at all, let me know. :)

• mikereaganmusic
    mikereaganmusic
    Community Member

Many thanks @brenty ! I think we're all good to go!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikereaganmusic - awesome! On behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome -- glad he was able to help. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Jim A Syler - is it possible? Yes. But I couldn't say for how much longer that will be the case. If you're ever wondering what the actual hard limitations of support for various versions of OS or 1Password are, our System Requirements page is an excellent resource to figure many such things out (of course, we're also always here if you're not sure).

I would caution you based on the configuration you mentioned that it's at the outer ranges of what's supported and the next time things are "left behind" by browser upgrades or macOS changes or even by Dropbox, a setup this may and likely will be among the first casualties. I mention that not to scold or be negative, but because I don't ever want to see users get bit by a "legacy" issue in a way that might leave them with a much worse problem than if they'd upgraded just a bit earlier. Our recommendation is to always use the most-current versions of all critical security infrastructure, and that includes not just 1Password but macOS and versions of your browser as well.

This discussion has been closed.