Fields order fubar between Mac and iOS versions

lock
lock
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi guys, I need to update my credit card data and I'm having some problems.

First of all MacOs version seems not able to order sections (see the UPDATE below). On the other side on iOS version I can't change fields kind so I need to go back and forth between MacOS and iOS.

Now I'm trying to set fields in this order:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq1e25s1010nlwo/Mac_order.jpg?dl=0

But, after waiting for 1P for Mac syncs data (via iCloud) and 1P for iOS syncing itself I get this situation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x53h5cayk2ckphr/iOS_order.jpg?dl=0

If I then try to manually order fields from iOS I need to do it several times because not all changes are taken when I press save.
And even then some of the fields I keep intentionally empty (well, with some space inside) to separate subsections are shown only during edit

I tried to delete and recreate them but they keep not showing (if not in edit mode), even if I type some text inside.

More I try to order the fields and more their order messes up. :(

What can I do?

I'm using the last updated versions (at the time of writing).

Another anomaly I noticed, I changed two fields from "password" to "text" on MacOs and I've found that I had two fields each on iOS, one password kind and one text.

UPDATE: It seems I'm no more able to order sections on iOS too (maybe I'm wrong but I think I could do it in the past): I need to move up the new credit card (and keep the old one below), how can I do it without having to start a new record from scratch? :\

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, add an option to iOS to have the old favorites method, where I touch the name and all data are shown. Having this quick view with buttons it totally useless, as the less relevant ones are always shown, and all passwords are hidden.
When I use it I don't need to copy my passwors somewhere but look at it (at supermatket, looking for a PIN or so). Having to do all these clicks is totally unpratical and comfortless. :(

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: no idea how to check
OS Version: High Sierra & iOS 12.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Yu-uh, anbobody there...?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lock - I'm sorry for the trouble as well as the delay in our reply. We've been a bit inundated with support requests related to the changes in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and Safari 12, as well as the recent releases of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows.

Ordering default fields is not a thing any longer to the extent it ever was, due to the increasing difficulty of making sure fields match and don't break things, cross-platform, and also in shared/team/family situations. What needs to happen to make this work now is a setup where your decision to move fields around don't either a) re-order them for someone else on a team (if you're a member of one) who might not want them ordered that way OR b) break things, if that person orders them differently. Until such time as we can make something like that work reliably, it's not going to be something we can support on various platforms.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Well, the same could be applied for passwords then: a) I change it for someone else on a team b) if that person change it too.
    I think the correct thing is: if two persons have access to the same records then they must be free to change them the way they like. Last one has the last word.

That said my situation is different because a) I'm not using the 1P online service, my data are synced via iCloud and Dropbox and b) I can reorder fields from both platforms (MacOS and iOS) but results are inconsistent: if I move a field on top of a section with Mac, I can find it moved to third place on iOS and viceversa. There's surely some issue.

Also, I need to move sections too. At the moment the only solution is delete the record and start a new one. Not pratical at all, especially with Bank stuff that may contain twenty or more fields.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@lock

That said my situation is different because a) I'm not using the 1P online service, my data are synced via iCloud and Dropbox

And if we were making a product called 1Password for Lock, we'd be designing for exactly those, and only those, conditions. I suspect you might find such a product prohibitively expensive, though. ;) As it stands, however, we've got to design with all users in mind, both standalone and 1password.com members.

I can reorder fields from both platforms (MacOS and iOS) but results are inconsistent: if I move a field on top of a section with Mac, I can find it moved to third place on iOS and viceversa.

So you see some of (or at least the results of) the difficulties involved in making this work consistently, cross-platform, then. :) As I said, until such time as we can make something like this work reliably, it's not going to be something we can support on various platforms.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

So you see some of (or at least the results of) the difficulties involved in making this work consistently, cross-platform, then. :) As I said, until such time as we can make something like this work reliably, it's not going to be something we can support on various platforms.

So you mean that you added the option to reorder fields on both Mac and iOS but it shouldn't be used because you're not able to make it work?
    I've the suspect you didn't undesrtand my issue, Lars (or, at least, I hope so).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lock

So you mean that you added the option to reorder fields on both Mac and iOS but it shouldn't be used because you're not able to make it work?

No. (re)ordering sections and fields is a long-standing feature that was introduced several versions ago and has existed in various forms since that time. Recently, it's become more problematic with the introduction of multi-user 1password.com accounts and also cross-platform, so it needs to be made to work more consistently and reliably in all of those situations, not just one one platform like macOS or even one "ecosystem" like Apple devices.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Ok, but what your official solution? I shouldn't use it because it doesn't work?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure what you're asking. As Lars mentioned above, fields in the default template cannot be moved. You can, however, move any custom fields you create:

How to customize your 1Password items

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Yeah, I was talking about custom fields!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

But they're bugged. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What is the specific issue you're referring to now?

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Just read my first posts, please. Don't make me rewrite them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I thought you might be referring to something else. In that case, I don't have anything to add to what Lars told you in his replies at that time. As I'm sure you know, it hasn't changed. But perhaps we can have it work the way you want it to in a future version. Thanks for the feedback.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Brenty, I really think to be in a candid camera!

I'm telling you there are bugs in the MacOs and/or iOS apps (or in the syncronization function between them) that make fields appear, disappear, change position in weird ways and I still didn't understand what your official answer is.

You mean "yes, it's bugged and we know; but we're not going to fix it because it's too complex". Is this what you mean?

Please consider english is not my main language, so it's possible I'm misunderstanding something. So, please, explain me better what your final answer is. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lock: I'm sorry if there's some misunderstanding, on my side as well. Field order is app-specific. I agree that it would be nice if this information "sync'd", but it cannot currently because not all of the apps support it, or do it in the same way. Perhaps something we can change in the future. It sounds like your data is intact though. If that is not the case, then that would definitely be a bug that needs investigating.

This discussion has been closed.