Cannot print entire vault from Windows

Options
darkecloud
darkecloud
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I need to print an entire vault. This is easy to do on my Mac with only a few keystrokes, but I cannot figure out how to do it with the Windows app for even a single item, much less the entire Vault. I intend to migrate away from macOS entirely in the near future. I do not want to keep a Mac around just to print 1Password items. Please advise.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1809
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• @darkecloud: 1Password for Windows doesn't support printing a list of your items. Could I ask why you need a printed list of your items? With your 1Password data available from any device on 1Password.com so long as you have your Master Password and Secret Key available, available across all of your apps even when offline, and the option to export your data at any time for import elsewhere, we didn't really see an immediate need for printing. For most use-cases we could think up, there's a better and more readable option available, but we're always open to feedback if you feel printing really is necessary. If nothing else, perhaps I can provide an alternative that would serve your purposes on Windows. :chuffed:

• darkecloud
    darkecloud
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1Password to store customer passwords (I'm a small Managed Service Provider). They don't want or need shared vaults, which would work out to be at least one or two guests per each of my several dozen vaults in my account, sometimes for vaults of one or five passwords for a small office. They don't want or need 1Password for themselves (nor do I want the hassle of helping them create a guest account as they don't use it nor ever remember how). For years I've been printing off a list of passwords for them when something is updated. The only alternative I can think of is to go back to Excel for saving and printing passwords for these customers, which I loathe the thought.

• @darkecloud: Oh, interesting use-case and a tricky one at that. I do have some ideas, though, depending on how these passwords are used. Are these passwords you need yourself or are they just generated for your customers and handed off? Does each customer have a large number of them or just a few per? I have a feeling I may fall short here, but I'm not giving up just yet. :chuffed:

• darkecloud
    darkecloud
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I appreciate the help. Most passwords I keep are for clients with a support contract, so while they own the accounts and services, I'm the one that supports and maintains them (things like Office 365 admin accounts, router passwords, software licence keys, etc). If something ever happens to me, they need those passwords, but probably only to just give the list to their next IT guy. But either way, they'll need it someday. My largest client I have 114 items in the vault I keep for them. Most others are less than 10. Some other clients have no contract and I just hand the passwords off, but I keep record of it anyway because the client usually loses it at some point and comes asking me for it again.

The only other solution I can think of is to try and make my clients buy a 1Password Teams or Business subscription and make myself a guest of every single one of them, but most of my clients are very small businesses and would probably refuse the additional expense. So that's why I just keep it all in my account, which will need to be shared with a (hopefully) future staff member of my own.

• Hi @darkecloud,

The problem with printing out is that you leave behind a trace of the data, print jobs, printer's memory, etc and then not to mention, the printed papers can be stolen and not carefully taken care of. We try to discourage bad security practices in our products in order to motivate folks not to do them in the first place.

In this case, you'd have to do what you did before with using Excel to print out exported data from 1Password; select the items in the item lists, right-click to export them as CSV and then print them out using Excel if you want.

• darkecloud
    darkecloud
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the export option. Not really was I was hoping for, but better than nothing. While I understand the security concern and that approach for a Fortune 500, I serve "mom and pop" businesses. I do hope there are no plans to remove the print functionality for macOS considering that it formats things well and suits my use case perfectly. Sounds like the only truly supported option would be to have a guest account for each vault and client that I serve.

• Hi @darkecloud,

As far as I know, we have no plans to remove it from macOS version as there are extra file system metadata we can use to limit access to the certain files. It's the same reason why we don't have the ability to temporarily download files for viewing and removing it permanently after locking 1Password.

Windows does have Encrypting File System (EFS) support but it is limited to certain high-end versions of Windows and not well supported across all Windows versions. We had a few users losing their files this way because they needed the original Windows encryption keys that were not retained when reinstalling Windows or copying files they thought was decrypted to backups.

This discussion has been closed.