Confused by vaults and betas

waldhaus1
waldhaus1
Community Member

I have a family subscription having gradually evolved to that from 1Password 2 or 3. Now I find I am repeatedly getting confused. It used to be simple - 1 vault file stored on drop box and accessible to the computers I use. Now 4 vaults personal, my wife's personal, and shared. that makes sense. But there is also a primary vault on my iMac which occasionally has things saved to it. It says it is synched nowhere, and as for the other vaults, there is no information as to where they are synched. It does happen but it seems to me all this complexity is asking for trouble.
My other issue is that I signed up for the betas but now it seems I might be better off without that since switching between 2 desktops twice a year means the versions get more out of date. I can't figure how to opt out of the betas. I found that info somewhere on the forum last summer but don't see it now.
Do I need the primary vault? If not how do I get rid of it?
Where are the family vaults being synched?
How can I discontinue the beta updates and still get the regular updates. There is a checkbox for betas in preference but no way to uncheck it - it is grayed out.
Thanks for any help

1Password Version: 7.2.2 beta 3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: I'd like to know

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@waldhaus1 - I'm sorry for the confusion. This isn't actually more complex, it's just different, and there's a small learning curve going from the old way to the new way. In that past, when you had only one vault, that meant all your eggs (so to speak) were in one basket. If you've created a 1Password Families account, now each of the two of you (you and your wife) have your own Personal vault, plus you both have access to the family-wide Shared vault. The Primary vault is your older, standalone vault (previously synced via Dropbox). It should've been removed when you upgraded to a 1password.com account, but you had an option to not remove it, which it sounds like you accepted. You should also not be seeing your wife's vault in your own view. Can you clarify for me: if you open 1Password 7 for Mac Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? The number and names of the vaults, please? Thanks in advance.

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member

I see a vault for me, one for my wife, and a shared vault. There is also the primary vault which I will now remove after being sure it contains nothing I need. It has only a few entries.
    Where are the vaults tired? Is it a separate Agile cloud service? that is one of the things confusing me.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@waldhaus1

Are you paying a monthly or yearly subscription fee?

If yes then its the 1Password sync service thru the 1Password servers.

You can also look at your preferences to see if you have an accounts tab , if you have one such as mine then you undoubtedly have a 1Password account syncing thru their servers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@waldhaus1 - you should not see a vault for your wife in your own account -- did you create a special vault for her? If so, there's no need to do that in 1Password Families; each person will have a Personal vault created for him/her when they sign up. To get that, however, you need to invite your wife, have her sign up, and confirm her sign-up. She'll have her own, separate Master Password that she chooses, and her own Personal vault - plus access to the Shared vault where you two can put items you want to share.

This discussion has been closed.