Logon to web interface using an item in the server category

I'm running a pfSense firewall which has a web-based UI to configure and manage it. I created a "Server" item in 1Password to store the logon details for the server. The item has info on several accounts (privileged and non-privileged), some other info about the server that I save, and the URLs for the web GUI.

When I go to the firewall's webpage, the logons for the firewall do not appear in the dialog when I right click. Is there a way to keep this item in the server category and also use it to log on to the web GUI?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @benmonty,

Currently no. Only certain types of items can fill and those are:

1. Login
    2. Identity
    3. Credit Card
    4. Password

with each serving a particular purpose. All other types are more just for storing sensitive/personal data. You will need a Login item here. Now more generalised filling is something we've talked about but if it does happen the changes would only be made available to the current version of 1Password which at the moment is 1Password 7. If/when such a feature appears that may be a new feature that makes updating compelling for you if the work that has so far gone into 1Password 7 hasn't tempted you yet.

• Srv02
    Srv02
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Hey bobby, are you the real lil bobby, or do you just love to break stuff? :)

I'd also love to see that feature to be able to logon to servers like Routers, NAS' etc. over the Server container.
    As a freelancer I use 1Password 7 with multiple Vaults as CMDB/Documentation for my small customers where I maintain systems. I VPN into their networks, start the browser and could directly logon to the appropriate systems, instead of having them copied every time manually.

I can recreate everything as Login, but I like the other icons. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Srv02,

I don't have anything to report at the moment or really any idea when we might even make some progress but it is something that we'd like to see. It could be sufficiently far enough in the future though that not using Login items in the meanwhile could make for a lot of tedious actions. If you still prefer Server items for now you might find the ability to drag and drop fields in 1Password 7 for Mac is a useful improvement. It won't be as nice as being able to fill but might help if you really don't like the idea of using a Login item.

I do wish I had something more promising, there just isn't any sort of roadmap at the moment.

• Srv02
    Srv02
    Community Member

Hey @littlebobbytables,

Thank's for that clarification. I know that it is not easy to publish a timeline when features are going to arrive, but my intend for this posting was to just +1 on this as feature request. :)

I have some more "ideas for improvement" but I don't want to hijack this topic.

• Hey @Srv02,

Thank you for sharing. This feature has my +1 too.

We love feedback! It's our beacon for continuing to make 1Password the best tool for you. :)
    As long as its related to this topic, post away. Otherwise, please don't hesitate to start a new thread in the appropriate category and share your ideas.

Thanks again. Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.