How to backup OnePassword batabase if using icloud ?

Options
Guillaume06
Guillaume06
Community Member

I choose to store the OnePassword database on iCloud; nevertheless I would like sometimes to save a local copy on an external hard drive; I beleived this aciton would be easy but no.
Can you tell me how to do ?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Guillaume06 - If you're using a standalone setup, 1Password already makes backups for you, automatically. Click Preferences > Backup and you'll see the window containing all the backups that 1Password has made for you (typically one a day). You can click "Show Files" to see the actual location in your Library folder where these are stored, or you can Restore one from right within that Preferences window, if you prefer.

• Guillaume06
    Guillaume06
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars for your quick response; I'm gonna to explain you deeper my problem :
    initially i used 1password in "standard" mode, it means passwords where stored in local "1Password.agilekeychain" crypted file.
    Then sometimes I was doing bakup on several usb keys.
    Manual solution, efficient but not very handy.
    Then I choose to save the password on iCloud, I believed "1Password.agilekeychain" to be moved in a specific folder on icloud drive but no; I assume it is hidden.
    Indeed I can apply your solution, in the directory I can see a lot of "1Password 2018-10-23 16_11_47 (1 profiles, 131 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip" files.
    When I unzip a file, I get a sqlite file, and I'm not sure it is crypted, is it the same file format as 1Password.agilekeychain ?
    My wish is to get a local copy of all my password in a crypted format so that if someone access this file he can't read it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Guillaume06 - I'm still not sure I understand why you are doing what I think you're doing (or trying to do).

Whether you use Dropbox or iCloud as a sync mechanism, you always have both the internal SQLite file that resides in 1Password itself (your data) AND all of the backups that get made. Those zip files are a "snapshot" of the state of your SQLite files, so it's unlike a sync keychain that's designed to represent the most-current state of your data and be interoperable between platforms. The backups are specific to macOS, and are intended to represent a historical "snapshot" of the SQLite database of 1Password at the time the backup was made (pretty much like all backups). The backups are fully encrypted with your Master Password.

I wouldn't try unzipping those files to get the SQLite file, and then making copies of it, mostly because that's not how those are intended to work, but also because it seems unnecessary - a bit like opening a disk image to extract the files inside...and then making a disk image or zip file of them. If I'm missing something here, please let me know. But we designed 1Password for Mac to have multiple backups and thus be pretty resistant to catastrophic data loss. I hope this helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.