1PW for Mac stopped syncing with Dropbox 8 weeks ago. How can I use the Dropbox vault?

Options
AlanH
AlanH
Community Member

I use 1Password on my phone and on multiple Macs. They sync via Dropbox.

When I recently was unable to log in to Twitter, due to a changed password that had not synced to my personal MacBook Pro from a work computer, I knew something was up.

Opening 1Password 7, I saw this:

Well that ain't good.

Attempting to turn on Dropbox syncing yields this:

Well, uh. That doesn’t sound right. I don’t want to create a new copy. Plus, the file name doesn’t seem to match. ~/Dropbox/1Password.opvault is not where my vault lives today; it lives at ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault.

I have looked at recently modified passwords in my personal MBP's Vault. There were only 2 from the last 2 months, so I exported them. I would be completely happy to completely erase my local vault and replace it with the Dropbox version (and then import those 2 items). I am not eager to do a merge, although it may turn out alright, but I want deleted items to stay deleted, etc., and not reappear as a result of a merge.

How can I resolve my situation?

Comments

• AlanH
    AlanH
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I am on Mojave, running 1Password 7.2.1

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlanH - I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 7 for Mac formally retired the older Agile Keychain format of sync keychain. The newer format, OPVault, has been available for nearly five years already if you can believe that, and with the release of 1Password 7 for Mac, we felt it was time to fully retire Agile Keychain. So, if you recently upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac and at that time were still using an Agile Keychain for your Dropbox sync, you would have been required to convert the vault (actually, it imports the old Agile Keychain to the 1Password 7 for Mac SQLite database, then writes out a new keychain in the new format into the same place as your older Agile Keychain and re-names the older one to .legacyagilekeychain).

If you look in your Dropbox in either of the locations you mentioned, do you see anything with a file-type ending in either .agilekeychain or .legacyagilekeychain?

• AlanH
    AlanH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there Lars, and thanks for the reply. Yes, at some point not too long ago, on one computer, I performed the migration from the legacy vault format to OPVault. I have now both the legacy and opvault format files within my ~/Dropbox/1Password folder.

I would be happy to jettison whatever vault and configuration I have locally for 1Password and re-initialize it to use the OPVault currently in the Dropbox, if someone could share recommended steps to do so.

• AlanH
    AlanH
    Community Member
    Options

I ended up merging them. The key was to specify ~/Dropbox/1Password as the Dropbox location (instead of my root Dropbox folder)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlanH - yes, for the first time in version 7, 1Password is a fully-sandboxed app. That means tighter integration with macOS and better security, but it also means we're limited in the folders we can access. Glad you figured it out before I got here to assist! :)

This discussion has been closed.