1-Click Bookmark Issues

Options
VirgilBoy
VirgilBoy
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

This issue has just started in the last couple weeks, affecting both my iMac and MacBook the same. Intermittently, when I use various 1-click bookmarks, they seem to stall. They stay in the state you see in the screen cap. Generally, if I close the tab, things work properly again for a time.

I have recreated the 1-click bookmarks, but same issue remains.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: membership

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VirgilBoy - can you tell me, when this occurs, whether you see the following pop-up?

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

I will have to do some more testing to give you a definitive answer. I believe I don't get the "Do you want", but want to give you a 100% good answer, Lars.

When I ran through my list of 1-clicks just now, I had 1 symptom show up that is a variation of the symptoms. It stalls, never even getting to the point of showing the data in the URL window.

My group of banking websites are in a folder in the Safari menubar. Sometimes I do see what is in the screencap from today. In this instance, the "Do you want" never appeared.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VirgilBoy - if you're NOT seeing that window, then your issue here is with Safari, not 1Password. In the older-style of 1-Click Bookmarks, the URL for the site you were visiting was included in the bookmark itself. It's negligible, considering you have browser history, etc, but the fact that the metadata (URL) is visible there could be considered a minor security hole. In the new world of Native Messaging and the Safari App Extension, however, no URL is passed.

Now, the browser passes the URI to macOS which passes it to 1Password which will then attempt to perform a standard open-and-fill with the extension using nothing but internal messaging so theres's never a URL being passed like it used to. When it gets to 1Password, you'll see that pop-up. If you don't see it, then the problem was upstream. In such a case, I'd consider re-saving your Login item, perhaps manually, and re-creating the bookmarklet. See if that helps any. I'd also shut off any content-blockers or filtering software you have installed, to see if there might be something interfering there. If none of that helps, you'll likely need to take the issue up directly with Apple.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars - my testing just now never got to the stage of showing the "Do you want" message. Again, the URL window is showing the metadata. Since it is happening on both my Macs, as you have described, it is a Safari issue. Closing the tab, and trying again seems to clear the issue. Sometimes restarting Safari works as well.

I don't see them having much interest in such a "minor" issue. Thanks for the help...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VirgilBoy - well, at least we identified it. You may want to get in touch with Apple. As they themselves say, don't expect a direct reply, but they do read and often times use feedback in their own internal troubleshooting and bug-fixing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, to be clear, that won't be item metadata, but rather a UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier) telling 1Password which item it needs to decrypt to fill.

This discussion has been closed.