To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

membership and stand alone license?

Options
k8ieT
k8ieT
Community Member

Hi, i'm a longtime 1password user and love it. I am currently running 1password 6 and it meets all my needs personally. I can't imagine not using it - I currently have 398 items in my account and would never be able to remember any of that! I don't see a reason to upgrade to a subscription where I am paying monthly if everything is working well for me and it is meeting my needs.

Professionally, I work for a not for profit (very small budget) and manage a marketing department with a lot of logins (social media, review platforms, online tools etc) that I want my team members to have access to. I'd like to use 1password to manage these professional logins. I currently have them in my 1password for myself but my two student staff members do not have access to that and have to log onto the server and check an excel spreadsheet manually. Not ideal.

My questions:
1) If I sign up my team with one of your new online memberships will it impact my ability to continue to use my personal stand-alone license for 1password 6 on my devices? Will I be able to sync work passwords to them and to my 1password 6 account? I don't want to pay a monthly fee for my personal use.
2) My team is small (2 part-time people that share one email account and need access to all the same items) so I was thinking about just having one license/membership to share work logins that they can both login via the same credentials since they are sharing an email account anyway. Any issues with this?

What are my options for getting my little not-for-profit team on 1password most cost-effectively without ending up with a personal monthly fee myself?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: various
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@k8ieT: Thanks for getting in touch. Interesting scenario and questions!

1) If I sign up my team with one of your new online memberships will it impact my ability to continue to use my personal stand-alone license for 1password 6 on my devices? Will I be able to sync work passwords to them and to my 1password 6 account? I don't want to pay a monthly fee for my personal use.

You would all need to be using 1Password.com accounts as part of the same team to share vaults that way, and that always involves a subscription, which is paid either monthly or annually. Otherwise you'd need to all share (a) local vault(s) using Dropbox with licensed copies of 1Password -- and frankly that's more complex and more hassle.

2) My team is small (2 part-time people that share one email account and need access to all the same items) so I was thinking about just having one license/membership to share work logins that they can both login via the same credentials since they are sharing an email account anyway. Any issues with this?

That's doable, but if you do it that way, like I said they would all still need licenses, it would need to be configured to sync individually on each device used, and you'd all need to use the same Master Password for any shared vault. For some that's a dealbreaker.

What are my options for getting my little not-for-profit team on 1password most cost-effectively without ending up with a personal monthly fee myself?

Maybe the organization could pay for that for the team. If you'll reach out via email at sales@1password.com we'll be happy to go over all the options with you, and figure out what might be the best fit for you folks. :)

• k8ieT
    k8ieT
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it sounds like it might not work for us - unless I forgo my licensed copy and upgrade to a subscription-based plan.

Yes, the organization would pay for the plan but as mentioned it is a very small not for profit and I have an extremely tight budget. I also don't want to upgrade myself personally to a subscription-based plan and then if I leave the organization I get stuck with a monthly bill when I actually own a standalone license for it. Can I downgrade in the future and go back to using my licensed copy if I left the organization? That would alleviate my concerns about getting stuck with a monthly bill for something I already own a lisc. for.

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

@k8ieT

The thing is that licenses are only valid for one major version of 1Password (e.x. 1Password 7 for Mac). If you were to switch over to using the organization’s subscription and subsequently leave the organization it may be time to purchase a new license or move to a membership of your own anyway.

But yes, licenses never expire, so if you were to leave the company and wanted to go back to the version you are currently licensed for, that would likely be possible. The only reason I say “likely” is that depending on how far in the future that is it is possible database formats will have changed by that point and it may be difficult or impossible to get data that is in 1Password 8 for Mac, for example, back into 1Password 6 for Mac. We do offer plain text exports though, so in theory that should pretty much always work. I just want to be sure I’m giving you the worst possible scenario so you can make an informed decision.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.