Issue with Syncing to Phone

meancody
meancody
Community Member

I had 1Password 6 and upgraded to 1Password 7. Now I have 2 vaults: "My Name > Personal" and "ON ICLOUD > Primary." I don't understand the difference between the two, but now I have tons of duplicate entries. I recently added a password and it is only on the Personal vault and now I can't get it to sync to my iPhone. I had been using WLAN before but that hasn't been working for months. I also tried iCloud and Dropbox syncing.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Are you now on a subscription? If so, was that what you intended or did you intend to get a licence.

Basically, the Primary vault is a stand-alone vault that comes from a licenced version, while Personal is the main vault belonging to a sub. When moving from a licence to a sub you will end up with both vaults. The intention is that in the end you will remove the Primary vault and stay with the Personal one. The Personal vault syncs automatically through 1password.com, so a user doesn't have to bother setting up WLAN, Dropbox or iCloud.

Let us know what you want and an AgileBits staff member will give more details of what to do.

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member

I am now on a subscription and it's what I intended. Is there an easy way to figure out where there aren't duplicates? Because I've added a few passwords and they went to Primary since that was the default and I didn't realize I needed to change it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@meancody - the best thing for you to do is (if you can) remember when you switched from the standalone setup to the 1password.com account. Just the day you did it is fine, no need to be super-precise. Next, click the vault menu in the upper left-corner of the main 1Password window and choose the Primary vault (not All Vaults view), and at the top of the item list column, change the sort order to "Date Modified" -- this will capture both things that were created recently as well as any existing items that were changed recently. Use this to spot any recent changes/additions, and transfer those over into the Personal vault. Then, when you're certain there's nothing remaining in the Primary vault that's NOT already in the Personal vault as well, you can click Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault, leaving you with only your 1password.com account.

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, I was able to sort Date Modified and moved the new passwords. I began the next step, but it seems I have forgotten my Master Password. Is there a way to reset it? I tried to change it, but since I don't know the original, I can't.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@meancody - there isn't, unfortunately. We design 1Password to be very secure, and that includes from us. If we could reset your password, that would be a security hole.

However, all may not be completely lost. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds as if you may have had TWO Master Passwords: one that you created a while back for your standalone (Primary) data. As long as you still remember that one, you should be good. If it's the other, 1password.com account that you cannot remember your Master Password for, we can delete that account and you can start over, create a new account and go through the process again (this time, remember the Master Password!) -- can you confirm for me which Master Password you cannot remember?

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Lars That makes sense!

Yes, I had two passwords. Even though I signed up for the subscription, I kept using the password for the standalone (not sure why). I can't remember the one for 1password.com. Will I need to move any new/updated passwords from Personal to Primary before deleting the account? I see them on my Mac app, but want to make sure I do this right.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@meancody

Will I need to move any new/updated passwords from Personal to Primary before deleting the account?

Yes. This is the good news right now: since you're already signed into the account within 1Password for Mac, you can still transfer items, even though this account is technically "dead man walking" since you can't remember the password. So, move over to Primary anything that's in the account vault that is NOT already in Primary, then write in to us at support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in your email. We'll send you out privately a link to delete your account, after which you can sign up for another one and transfer your data from Primary to Personal.

After you email us, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down your email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member

@Lars I tried one more password and it worked!

I finished following your instructions and that's all set. One final question: how does the sync work with my iPhone app? I logged in to the 1password.com account and see that it's updated and matches my desktop app. But the iPhone app isn't updated (I can tell because desktop/web have 553 passwords and iPhone has 545).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@meancody - I can't say without knowing what's on your phone, but I'd guess you're still using the older standalone data on your phone. The good news here is: you don't need it (provided it was in sync previously before you created your account). You can just add your account to 1Password for iOS and then visit Settings > Vaults and remove your older standalone vaults, and you'll have only your 1password.com vaults on your phone, just like you do on your Mac, all in sync via the 1password.com servers, no extra setup/maintenance required!

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Lars Thank you so much for all your help today! I did what you said and it's working perfectly! Sorry about my confusion, the switch from license to subscription was more complicated than anticipated. I really appreciate your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@meancody - you are quite welcome, happy to do it. :)

Sorry about my confusion

Don't be.

the switch from license to subscription was more complicated than anticipated.

Yeah, and that makes me sad. We worked really hard to have it be as NOT-complicated as possible, but there were a lot of moving parts, and, well...it just wasn't as clear as we'd hoped, despite our best efforts. I'm glad I was able to assist you; drop by anytime if you have questions or other issues. You should be all set now, however. :)

This discussion has been closed.