Upgraded from 1PW6 to 1PW7, back up location seems duplicated

Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member

I appear to have two back up locations on my Mac, each about 5gb in size.

1) ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

2) ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Am I correct that the #2 back up location is the "real" back up directory for 1PW7? I am planning on deleting the #1 directory.

Please confirm! Thanks in advance...

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Superfandominatrix - yep, in 1Password 7 for Mac everything is in the ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/.... location. The ...Application Support/1Password 4 location is for versions 4-6 of 1Password and, assuming you've got backups already in the version 7 location, you definitely don't need the other location...unless you plan on re-installing version 4, 5 or 6. So go ahead and delete, assuming you understand what you're doing (it sounds like you do).

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Lars Great, thank you. Size of the two directories is roughly the same so as long as I know which directory is the current "real" one, I'm good to go. Need to reclaim that 5GB space on the hard drive!

Are there any other directories that might be lingering on the hard drive that need to be deleted to remove 1PW6 resource files? The way I read your response, I can delete ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4, the entire directory, without issue for 1PW7. Is this a correct understanding?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Superfandominatrix - I never recommend doing that, because it means no return to 1Password 6 for Mac or earlier, except as a brand-new install. You don't really need those files, but people sometimes get peculiar about not having access to things anymore, and these days, hard drive space is usually the cheapest and most-plentiful thing about a computer. If you're in a situation with a tiny SSD or an otherwise maxed-out hard drive, then sure, go ahead...as long as you're clear on what this means. :)

• @Lars Gotcha, understood. Yes, tiny SSD is the problem. 5gb, for example, is 10% of my current free space. Worth it to investigate and reclaim the space. Looks like the remaining files under /1Password 4/ total less than 200mb, so I'll just flag the directory and delete it sometime in future.

Thank you as always~

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Superfandominatrix - you're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.