Migration Assistant from MacBook to MacBook Air

tubajim
tubajim
Community Member

I am considering a new MacBook Air. I am using version 7.1.2 of 1Password. I am wondering if Migration Assistant will bring everything across from my older MacBook to the new MacBook Air without any problem. I have only 1 vault and use AgileBits for storage, not Dropbox or iCloud. I don't want to make this change until I know for sure if 1Password will work initially on the MacBook Air or if there are some steps to complete first. I have a bunch of passwords stored and want to make sure I don't lose access to all those. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: AgileBits
Referrer: forum-search:migration assistant

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tubajim - when you say you "use AgileBits for storage," does that mean you have a 1password.com membership? If so, there's no need to fool with Migration Assistant -- at least, not where 1Password is concerned: you only need to install the newest version (currently 7.2.1) onto your new MacBook Air and sign into your 1password.com account. Hopefully, you have your Emergency Kit, or at least have your Secret Key written down somewhere so you can sign in again from new devices. But that's the beauty of 1password.com membership: no having to laboriously migrate items from one place to the next, in a fragile and often error-prone manner. Just download the latest version, sign in, and you're right where you left off.

If you meant instead that you have standalone data and you're not using ANY method of sync, then yes, you'd need to figure out some way to get the data onto the new MacBook Air. However, I've had less-than-good results with Migration Assistant, especially if you're using Touch ID, so what I'd recommend there is syncing your data temporarily to a Folder on a USB flash drive from your current Mac, and then simply using that same setup to sync to on the new one. Let me know if you want more-detailed instructions for that. Do you have a 1password.com membership?

• tubajim
    tubajim
    Community Member

I do have a 1Password.com membership, I think. If I'm paying a fee annually, is that a membership? If I use Migration Assistant, it will move my entire old Mac to my new Mac. I would assume all I have to do is sign in as I am doing now and all will work as before. Is that correct?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tubajim

If I'm paying a fee annually, is that a membership?

Yup! :)

You're welcome to use Migration Assistant, but if you have any troubles with it, just open 1Password (don't even have to unlock it) and click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data which will make it as if you're a brand new user, then sign into your 1password.com account as if you were a new user.

• tubajim
    tubajim
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.