Submit Logins

Jperkinski
Jperkinski
Community Member

I'm seeing a few scattered reports that the Submit Logins feature of 1Password Mini does not work in Mojave and is not likely to return.

Is this true? It's one of my favorite features of 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Jperkinski - auto-submit has indeed been retired in 1Password 7 for Mac. The main motivator for that was Apple's substantial changes to Safari 12. Apple have been on a months-long drive to tighten up security in many ways, and one of them is disallowing the mechanism we were using to effect auto-submit, which was a small script that simulated the press of the return key. Apple pointed out (and we agree) that while our own use of this was perfectly legitimate, simulating a return-key press by means of a script is also how some of the worst malware out there installs itself, and that an executive command like pressing return should not be allowable without express user confirmation each time. So they removed the ability, and due to that (and other reasons), we chose not to try to come up with our own hack-y workaround to allow us to keep offering auto-submit. When you look at the overall scope of what 1Password automates for you when you double-click an item in the main 1Password window, it's this:

1. Launches your browser, if not already launched
    2. Opens the primary website URL specified in the Login item you clicked
    3. Fills in your credentials to sign into the site
    4. Presses return to sign you in.

Of those four, all of the first three will still happen just as they always have -- and those are by far the most labor-intensive portions of signing into a site (typing out the URL and your credentials, etc). Only the final press of the return key to actually submit your login credentials has been returned to the user instead of remaining automated.

• Jperkinski
    Jperkinski
    Community Member

Thanks. Yes, it's still not so bad, I was just curious if was missing a hidden setting or additional helper app to install so that Submit Logins will work again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Jperkinski - nope, you're not missing anything, it really is gone. I use 1Password extensively every day, and I'd say it took me about a weekend to get used to pressing return again to submit Login forms. Hopefully, you'll have a short learning curve as well. :)

• Jperkinski
    Jperkinski
    Community Member

Thanks. Yes, I will get used to it. There is no choice!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.