2 step verification

vrod1234
vrod1234
Community Member

I actually have two questions and didn't know exactly where to post them, Please grant me a pardon. When using Safari, when I am on a website where I use two step verification, when I click in the box where the code goes all it takes is a click and the code is filled in. I cannot find how to make this happen in Chrome. 2nd question- has anyone had the problem where the user name and password is autofilled and after a second the user name disappears so I have to hit autofill again. If so, is there a fix? Happens periodically on both Safari & Chrome.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 chrome 7.2.1 safari
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vrod1234

When using Safari, when I am on a website where I use two step verification, when I click in the box where the code goes all it takes is a click and the code is filled in. I cannot find how to make this happen in Chrome.

Well-spotted! That's actually a function of the new Safari App Extension, which is able to do this. The older-style 4.7.3.90 extension cannot -- though 1Password 7 for Mac will copy the TOTP code to your clipboard, so you can paste it easily in to the required field. This isn't likely to change...though if you are using a 1password.com membership (not standalone data) and would like to try using 1Password X instead of the 4.7.3.90 extension that requires the standalone app, 1Password X has this ability.

...has anyone had the problem where the user name and password is autofilled and after a second the user name disappears so I have to hit autofill again. If so, is there a fix? Happens periodically on both Safari & Chrome.

This is typically a function of the placement of the cursor at the time of auto-fill. If the focus is in the URL bar, then hitting return will reload the page, not submit the login form.

• vrod1234
    vrod1234
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick response. At some point will the 2 step verification work with Chrome as it now does in Safari?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vrod1234 - let me go ahead and back this one up a bit; I think I misunderstood at first. What you're seeing - if I'm understanding you correctly - is actually NOT part of 1Password for Mac, in Safari or elsewhere. We can - and do - copy the code to your clipboard, so it's easy to paste into the TOTP field. But actually auto-filling it is not something any of our extensions currently do. The only exception to this is 1Password X, which works exclusively with 1password.com accounts, and is available for Chrome and Firefox but not Safari.

Can I ask what you meant specifically by "when I click in the box where the code goes all it takes is a click and the code is filled in"? What is it that you're clicking -- what specific steps are you taking?

• vrod1234
    vrod1234
    Community Member

Recently, I have noticed when using Safari 12.0.1 when signing into my bank for example, when I hear the ding of the text coming in all I do is click in the box where the 2 step verification code goes and it not only shows the code it fills it in. I have to do nothing. When using Chrome I look at the text and have to manually copy and paste from the text or remember the code and type it in. I assumed it was something 1PW added and it sure is GREAT!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vrod1234 - ok, thanks fort the clarification, and my apologies for the confusion. What you're seeing is a new feature in Safari 12 -- an iMessage prompt, not anything being done by our extension. And yes, it's pretty cool -- but it's a Safari-only feature, so it's probably not likely to be coming to either Chrome or Firefox, unless Apple allows other browser developers access to the API.

• vrod1234
    vrod1234
    Community Member

Thank You!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vrod1234 - you're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.