1P launching at startup, but not in "login items"

camner
camner
Community Member

1P (the app) has started launching when I boot my computer, but it is not in my list of login items. I think (but I am not absolutely certain) that this behavior began after I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave.

I also looked in /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, and
/Library/StartUpItems, and didn't seem to find anything that looked related to 1P.

Is this expected behavior? If not, any thoughts about how I might track this down?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @camner,

This is entirely expected behavior. It doesn't show up in Startup Items due to the API Apple requires applications use to start at login.

You can stop it from launching on login by unchecking "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper Running" in the 1Password Browser Preferences.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I understand why the extension helper would load at startup. I don't understand why the 1Password app itself opens. Other apps that have "helpers" that run in the background don't leave their "parent" app open.

• @camner,

This is because the Extension Helper process can't do anything without the main app running. It only shuttles messages back and forth between the main app and the extensions themselves.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Ah. Got it. Does that mean that 1P (main app) should be running at all times? I don’t do that, and 1P seems to work just fine. If 1P (main) isn’t running, are edits made in one of the extensions (password, URL updates, for example) not passed on to 1P main and thus not updated on 1P’s servers? Or do the extensions store the work they do and then transmit the changes the next time 1P is opened?

• rudy
    edited November 2018

@camner,

If you're interacting with the extensions then the main app is in fact running; It transitions between showing in the dock and not showing in the dock depending on whether you have any windows open that are part of the "main app" window group (the main window, prefs window etc). When those windows are closed or you cmd Q, the app will shed its dock icon and close windows in that main window group. If you see the mini window(extension) or have the menubar icon, those are all in the same app now, the main app.

The extension helper has basically no user interface anymore, there are one or two error dialogs that it still presents, but other than that, all the guts of 1Password are now in the main app.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Thanks for delving into the details for me; I always like to know what's going on behind the scenes (out of curiosity, not suspicion).

It seems to me that after Mac startup, even though there are no "main app" window group items open, 1P is in the dock.

Also, if I open 1P manually at some point and close all windows, 1P stays in the dock.

So, unless I'm mistaken here, 1P does not automatically hide itself from the dock the way you describe it should.

• @camner,

Had you previously added the application to the dock? It won't hide it in that state, but it should show as not running if you have the "show indicators for open applications" preference turned on in System Preferences.app -> Dock.

This discussion has been closed.