Is it possible to have a shorter master password in 1Password?

jp11
jp11
Community Member

Hi! The main reason I purchased the program and use it is to enable me to type less. My hands don't work. I have done my best to use Dragon for word processing. It doesn't work well with fields or passwords. Having the option to click a button and fill/submit a form automatically is HUGE. Dragon does not work with master passwords at all.

I just switched to version 7 yesterday, and I'm noticing the requirement for the master password has changed to 10 characters. Is there some way to change this? Ultimately, I'd like to never enter a password, but if I must, I would prefer to keep it short and simple.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jp11! I'm sorry for the situation you're in, but the main reason most of our users purchase 1Password is to increase their security. As such, there are a few things that we don't do - such as allow people to not use Master Passwords, or use weak ones. Your Master Password is quite literally the key to your data; it's what's used by 1Password's encryption to derive the key which transforms your data from unreadable ciphertext to human-and-machine-readable data. There's unfortunately (for your specific situation) no way to bypass or shorten this requirement. If there were, that would be a security hole that would render your data much more easily cracked/obtained by an attacker.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

However, depending on your situation, you can reduce the number of occasions when you ned to type the master password. For instance, I live alone, and have my machine set so that I only need the master password on startup.

Look in 1Password >Preferences >Security for the settings.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danco - excellent point. You can indeed adjust your security settings in Preferences > Security, though 1Password cannot be set to never require your Master Password.

• jp11
    jp11
    Community Member

I wonder if a lot of people purchase the software just to keep track of passwords. I've been using a weak password for a long long time with this app... Like a decade. The change is recent. Let's say, theoretically I wanted to go back to the less secure version of the software so I could use my old password. Is there a way to convert the file format back to the previous version?

• jp11
    jp11
    Community Member

Actually, never mind – I found the loophole.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We can't recommend using a weak password, but if you're comfortable doing that yourself it's your call. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.