Purchase question - upgrade path for family

I purchased 1Password for OS X via the Mac App Store, 1Password for iOS via the App Store and then upgraded to pro. I've paid for an upgrade once already if I recall correctly. My wife and I use the OS X version and we both use the iOS version, as do our 3 children on a total of 6 iOS devices.

I'm not interested in the subscription model at this time - I don't see any value in the features baked in there given my use cases.

From what I can tell, I need to pay $50 to upgrade to 7. Does that mean I have to pay twice (once for me and again for my wife?)

What is the path forward for me from an iOS perspective? Do I need to upgrade those as well?

Please help me understand the total cost of ownership here as it is not at all clear.

1Password Version: 6.8.9, 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

From what I can tell, I need to pay $50 to upgrade to 7. Does that mean I have to pay twice (once for me and again for my wife?)

@txlonewolf: If you purchase 1Password for Mac version 7 while the discount is still available, then that is correct. If you wait and purchase once it goes up to the regular price, it will be more expensive for both licenses.

What is the path forward for me from an iOS perspective? Do I need to upgrade those as well?

1Password for iOS version 7 was a free update. It sounds like you already have that.

I'm not interested in the subscription model at this time - I don't see any value in the features baked in there given my use cases.

You can ignore the rest if you want, but I think it's worth considering:

It will vary depending on the case, but my family enjoys cost savings on a number of levels:

• All apps included — so we're not paying for licenses for various platforms
    • All updates included — no additional purchase for a new major version, such as 7.0
    • The whole family — no separate purchases for family members, as 5 are included in the base price
    • Time is money — whether family members setting things up themselves (which is much easier with a 1Password.com account: they just sign in on each device to access their data) or me helping them, there's just a lot less friction involved

It includes 5 family members in the base price. It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with many other benefits.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• edited November 2018

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give the subscription plan a shot, but it failed with an error when I attempted to add it. If I'm understanding the process correctly, it should have added the account to my local copy of 1Password and my secret key should be included there. I need the secret key to login online or to print the emergency kit. Since adding that failed, I don't have the secret key and attempting to start the process over yields an error since the account already exists under my email address.

Edit: I'll be a little more precise to aid in troubleshooting. This is to the best of my recollection.

• Clicked 1Password7->Purchase 1Password...
    • Clicked Subscribe Today... button
    • Entered email
    • Received email - subj: Verify 1Password Account which contained a code
    • Entered code from email, above
    • Entered master password
    • Confirmed master password
    • *****Received error code indicated 1Password could not create the account****
    • Received email - subj: Your account is ready to go.
    • Email "Your account is ready to go" advised me that I had an Emergency Kit
    • Clicked link for Emergency Kit
    • Directed to my.1password.com login page
    • Prompted for email, secret key and master pw

Note the line above ****Received error code...****
    If I understand the process correctly, if this had not thrown an error, I would have had a secret key generated in my 1Password app which I could then use to login to my account.

Since that process threw an error, I do not have a secret key which is preventing me from logging into my account.

Additionally, when I attempt to "Start over" I'm informed that I already have an account and need to provide the secret key which I don't have. Since I'm the administrator - or would be had I been able to successfully initiate the process to begin with - and there are no users added as of yet, I don't have anyone who can assist me in unlocking this account.

• edited November 2018

FWIW, I followed the instructions located here:
    https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

It suggests that I can start over completely, yet I am still getting an error related to an account already existing for my email address.

Since the initial provisioning failed to create a secret key in my local copy, I can't use that secret key to login to my account.

It would seem at this point that I am well and truly screwed.

Please advise.

Edit:
    I've included a more complete version of events in the 10:19pm post - please refer to that. Additional troubleshooting ensued, including the start over link pasted above in this comment.

@brenty - I'm just about out of ideas. Running OS X 10.14.1

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@txlonewolf: Sorry for the trouble there. Those instructions are for resetting the app. They will not delete your 1Password.com account. Generally that's a pretty bad idea. It would be really helpful to know the error you received, but suffice to say we can help you delete the account so you can start over with a new one. But there's no reason you can't create a new account now while you're waiting. You will not be able to create multiple individual accounts under the same email address, but you can absolutely sign up for 1Password Families:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

That will get you started, and I'll shoot you an email in a bit to help you delete the unused account as well.

This discussion has been closed.