View contents of 2 vaults side-by-side?

elkodsi
elkodsi
Community Member

I have 2 vaults, personal (local, mac) and primary (cloud). Is there a way to view the contents of both side-by-side, so I can compare and remove duplicates from one, so I'm only left with one valid vault? Will be helpful for use with iOS 12, which allows me to use 1Password on my iPhone.

1Password Version: 7.22
Extension Version: 7.22
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:2 vaults

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

That does sound as it would be useful occasionally.

But the Primary vault should have been copied over th the Personal vault, and you should no longer need the Primary vault. I agree it would be nice to double-check.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@elkodsi - there's no "dual pane" view for 1Password, so you can't really do that directly. What you can do is switch to first one vault, then the other and set the sort order at the top of the items column in All Items view to "Date Modified." That will give you a sense of any items that are different and might need to be merged.

In general, I'd recommend you NOT keep both a Primary (standalone) vault and a Personal 1password.com account vault with (nearly) identical copies of data in each, due to the high likelihood of changing some of your data in one place and some of it in the other and the two becoming gradually more dissimilar over time. It's best to go through this process once, combine the data into one complete and up-to-date set (preferably in your Personal vault), then delete the Primary vault. You can do this by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

• elkodsi
    elkodsi
    Community Member

Thanks very much! Can I share the contents of either vault with a family member? If so, which is preferable, the personal or primary?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@elkodsi - if you want to be able to share data with one or more family members, then I'd strongly recommend you look into 1Password Families. It's explicitly designed to do just what you're asking for. Instead of $35.88/yr, it's $59.88/yr -- but for that, up to FIVE people in the same family can all use 1Password on as many devices as they own/use. Each person gets his/her own personal vault, which is visible/usable only to them, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault. The Shared vault is a great place to put items you all need access to, or for which there is only one login rather than each person having his/her own. A great example of a Shared item vs one you'd want to keep in your Personal vault is, say, Netflix vs Gmail -- each person is likely to have his/her own Gmail account, so you don't want put all of those together in the Shared vault (causes confusion, etc), but you have only one Netflix account for the family, typically, and you all DO need access to that -- so it's a great candidate for the Shared vault.

If that sounds like something you might be interested in, you can invite a family member by signing into your 1password.com account in a browser and clicking "Invite people" in the right sidebar -- here are some further instructions, and let me know if you have any questions. :)

• elkodsi
    elkodsi
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, will consider it. Currently paying for two individual accounts, so that may be a less expensive option, no?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@elkodsi - definitely! An individual 1Password account is $35.88/yr if paid annually instead of monthly. Two of those would be over $70, in comparison to the just-under $60 for a 1Password Families account that accommodates up to five people AND includes sharing and other goodies. It's totally worth it if there are multiple people in your family who want to use or are already using 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.