Standalone -> Account

Hi, was a paid license user of Mac v6, including the paid Android app. Upgraded to a standalone Mac v7, but didn't realize I would have to pay again for Android v7 as well. It's starting to add up, and I'm now starting to consider the value of the account option.

So I have three questions:

1. I think I saw some text somewhere indicating that within a month I could decide to switch from a license to an account. How does that work? Do I get a credit on my account equal to the value of the license? Can I do this myself somehow, or do I need to contact you to do this?

2. If I do this, I am also considering making the account a family account, I have a family member who may be interested in getting into 1p. Would there be any implications of this given I would be converting from a standalone? Also, this person is on Mac OS 10.10, so wondering if that would be a problem.

3. Also, I am currently syncing between my Mac and phone using a folder (and owncloud). Am I going to be locked into using your servers or can I continue my homebrew syncing mechanisms? (Uncertainty over this is why I bought a v7 license in the first place.) I am sure the other family member will also prefer to sync to a folder for their personal vault. Can we also have a shared vault through folder syncing?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi, was a paid license user of Mac v6, including the paid Android app. Upgraded to a standalone Mac v7, but didn't realize I would have to pay again for Android v7. It's starting to add up, and I'm now starting to consider the value of the account option.

So I have three questions:

1. I think I saw some text somewhere indicating that within a month I could decide to switch to an account. How does that work? Do I get a credit on my account equal to the value of the license? Can I do this myself somehow, or do I need to contact you to do this?

2. If I do this, I am also considering making the account a family account, I have a family member who may be interested in getting into 1p. Would there be any implications of this given I would be converting from a standalone? Also, this person is on Mac OS 10.10, so wondering if that would be a problem.

3. Also, I am currently syncing between my Mac and phone using a folder (and owncloud). Am I going to be locked into using your servers or can I continue my homebrew syncing mechanisms? (Uncertainty over this is why I bought a v7 license in the first place.) I am sure the other family member will also prefer to sync to a folder for their personal vault. Can we also have a shared vault through folder syncing?

Thanks.

• Hi, was a paid license user of Mac v6, including the paid Android app. Upgraded to a standalone Mac v7, but didn't realize I would have to pay again for Android v7. It's starting to add up, and I'm now starting to consider the value of the account option.

So I have two questions:

1. I think I saw some text somewhere indicating that within a month I could decide to switch to an account. How does that work? Do I get a credit on my account equal to the value of the license? Can I do this myself somehow, or do I need to contact you to do this?

2. Also, I am currently syncing between my Mac and phone using a folder (and owncloud). Am I going to be locked into using your servers or can I continue my homebrew syncing mechanisms? (Uncertainty over this is why I bought a v7 license in the first place.)

Thanks.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Hi, was a paid license user of Mac v6, including the paid Android app. Upgraded to a standalone Mac v7, but didn't realize I would have to pay again for Android v7 as well.

@cmh: You don't have to pay for the update from 1Password for Android version 6 to version 7. I'm not sure what gave you that impression. You will, however, need to use the correct Google Account to install the app and restore the purchase, as it's tied to that.

It's starting to add up, and I'm now starting to consider the value of the account option. So I have three questions:
    I think I saw some text somewhere indicating that within a month I could decide to switch from a license to an account. How does that work? Do I get a credit on my account equal to the value of the license? Can I do this myself somehow, or do I need to contact you to do this?

That's not quite right, but we do have a 30 day refund period on license purchases, so we can absolutely refund it within that time frame if you decide you'd prefer to go with a 1Password membership instead to get all the apps and updates. If your situation is a bit different though, we're still happy to take a look and see what we can do to help you make the transition. Just shoot us an email at [email protected] either way and we can work out the details. Be sure to include any relevant receipts if you can, as that will allow us to help you faster without having to ask a lot more questions.

If I do this, I am also considering making the account a family account, I have a family member who may be interested in getting into 1p. Would there be any implications of this given I would be converting from a standalone? Also, this person is on Mac OS 10.10, so wondering if that would be a problem.

Yosemite will probably be an issue long-term. They won't be able to receive updates, either from 1Password or from Apple and browser vendors. It should work fine now, but something to keep in mind. As far as 1Password Families more generally, you can also start off with an individual membership if you're not sure and just want to test drive it. It's just a few clicks to invite people and upgrade to a family membership at any time.

Also, I am currently syncing between my Mac and phone using a folder (and owncloud). Am I going to be locked into using your servers or can I continue my homebrew syncing mechanisms? (Uncertainty over this is why I bought a v7 license in the first place.) I am sure the other family member will also prefer to sync to a folder for their personal vault. Can we also have a shared vault through folder syncing?

You can certainly continue to use local vaults (though, to be clear, "homebrew" sync solutions are not supported, so you'd be on your own with that), but that would mean giving up many of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, like not having to deal with sync configuration for each vault across all devices, but also Travel Mode, automatic offsite backup and item history, the web interface... I'd be happy to discuss it with you further, as far as your reasoning for doing that. If there's some clarification that I can provide that might get you to not make all that extra hassle for yourself, I'd be glad for it. :)

This discussion has been closed.