is there a way to link a password that's been shared in another vault?

Options

Is there a way to preserve passwords shared between vaults? i.e. - Sally creates a password in Vault #1. Bob does not have access to Vault#1, so Sally creates Vault#2 and permissions Bob to it. Sally wants to share the password in Vault#1 with Bob.
If she copies is from Vault#1 to Vault#2, what happens if the password in Vault#1 changes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password copies

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lpenhallow,

Thanks for getting in touch and using 1Password!

Changing a password in your Private vault doesn't automatically change this password in a Shared vault. If you copy an item to another vault, they are considered two different items after that.

If you want to share a password with your family or team, I would recommend you to move an item to a Shared vault, not copy it. This way you will be able to update it for everyone and see it in 1Password apps using All Vaults view.

Let me know if it answers your question. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• lpenhallow
    lpenhallow
    Community Member
    Options

HI Greg,
    Thanks for the response. I was hoping there would be a way to link passwords, as there are a few logins that are shared between a couple of teams, vs having to create shared vaults for those items, but can certainly do this for now. Would it be possible to submit this as a feature request?
    Thanks!
    Laura

• @lpenhallow: This isn't something on the immediate road map as there are some complications related to how vaults are encrypted that would make linking items in this fashion a challenge, but I'd still be more than happy to pass along your feedback. In general, I find it helps to think of vaults in terms of broad categories, rather than on a per-team basis. Not everyone on the support team here, for example, needs access to our social media Logins, but the social media team does. So Greg and I are both on the support team, but I work on social and he doesn't so I have a vault he doesn't have access to. These broad categories can make it easier to keep items organized while also helping ensure folks only have access to the vaults they need. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.