1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 seems to be missing Backup option

nycyclist
nycyclist
Community Member

I recently upgraded from v.6 to 1P v.7.2.2 on Mac but don't see the option to Backup (or restore). I have a family membership subscription. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password Acct
Referrer: forum-search:backup missing

Comments

• georgebh
    georgebh
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I upgraded also and have the same version and do not see a backup option. Also, when I went to folder where backups have been stored it has not backed up since I upgraded.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @nycyclist (and hi, @georgebh)! I'm sorry for the confusion. This isn't a function of upgrading from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac, but of switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership. When you have a 1password.com account, your data is backed up automatically, on the 1password.com servers. You have the local cache of your data, which is what you see when you open the 1Password app (the actual SQLite file itself is at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite - but the backups are all done for you, remotely, as part of your 1Password account. These backups are much more granular than the older local ones you were used to in standalone 1Password -- you can even restore individual single items to any previous state, using the 1password.com web interface. Hope that's helpful. :)

• nycyclist
    nycyclist
    Community Member

Thanks Lars! I guess I got confused about the backup options when reading https://support.1password.com/backups/#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-standalone-vaults

because it seems to suggest the ability to create standalone backups:

"You can also create and restore backups of standalone vaults:

Mac: Create a backup
    Open 1Password and choose File > Backup.
    To find where the backup files are kept, choose 1Password > Preferences > Backups and click Show Files."

Maybe it could be made clearer that those with a membership won't see the backup/restore option?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nycyclist - ah, thanks -- I hadn't read it like that, but I can see where someone might. I'll pass it along to our documents folks. To be fair to them, it does say that you can create and restore backups of standalone vaults -- i.e., vaults that were standalone to begin with, not part of a 1password.com account. Anyway, glad I could help clear that up, and thanks for bringing it to our attention! :)

• nycyclist
    nycyclist
    Community Member

I guess I did not fully understand the meaning of standalone, but now I do. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nycyclist - you're quite welcome; glad I was able to assist. :)

• georgebh
    georgebh
    Community Member

Lars,

Does the existence of the cache in the Library mean we could use this cache data as a restore, in theory (forgetting your backups at 1password.com)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@georgebh - we don't currently have any way to restore 1password.com data stored in the b5.sqlite file directly as a traditional backup, but if (for example) we were to go "poof" as a company tomorrow, you could open your local 1Password for Mac application (or 1Password for Windows, for that matter) with your Master Password just as you always do. The local cache is readable by the app, and although the first thing it will do upon launch is check for changes with the server, if it can't reach the server, you won't be "locked out" (since people often have their MacBooks in locations where they do not have internet access). Upon learning we'd gone "poof," you could create a standalone vault and migrate all the data from your account back to the standalone vault, and keep using 1Password that way -- or export it for use in another program or even a spreadsheet. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.