Apple ID compromised. How to change payment method from iTunes to credit card?

edited November 2018 in Purchasing

I had to change my Apple ID due to security concerns. I didn’t cancel the 1Password monthly subscription and can no longer access the Apple ID but it can’t charge anything as there is no payment information or iTunes credit balance.

How can I change the payment method from a monthly subscription in iTunes attached to a compromised Apple ID I can no longer access (and that Apple said cannot be transferred to my new Apple ID) to a new credit card payment on the 1Password website?

I still have access to my 1Password app as I changed the login email address just prior to factory resetting the iPhone and had my secret key.

Comments

• Having read other posts I now know I need to cancel the Apple ID subscription and then contact [email protected] to advise I want to switch over to a 1Password.com individual subscription.

Problem is I cannot cancel the subscription as I cannot access the Apple ID account anymore due to 2fa phone number being disconnected. It will auto cancel as there is no payment info/credit card info or iTunes balance to take the subscription from.

What should I do in this situation? Wait till it auto-cancels and then contact [email protected] to set up billing through 1Password.com via credit card after it becomes a frozen account in mid Dec when the iTunes subscription has expired?

• MeekMeek

Team Member

Hey @blueboysmum, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with your Apple ID getting compromised - that is never fun. The main reason we tell people to cancel their iTunes subscription first is just so that they're not continuing to be charged there. Since you no longer have a credit card attached to it, that is not a concern. If you could you send us an email to [email protected], we'll be able to help you switch over to direct billing.

• Will do. And thanks so much for replying! 😃

• Here is my support ticket reference number
    [#KDY-92346-479].

Thanks again!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Thanks! We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: KDY-92346-479

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I'll also add for you or anyone else concerned, Apple's two-factor authentication is really awesome, easy to use, and adds an additional layer of protect for your Apple ID:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Cheers! :)

• Thanks. I did have 2fa but my number got ported by someone else! So I wasn’t receiving the 2fa codes. :(

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That sounds like a rather serious issue. I hope you've involved law enforcement, and perhaps consulted with an attorney, at this point.

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@blueboysmum: That to me sounds like two-step authentication, since it sounds like it's sending an SMS to the phone number:. Definitely a bit confusing. I do hope you're able to get it sorted out, and would recommend using Apple's newer two-factor authentication instead:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207198

It's much more secure and user-friendly.

This discussion has been closed.