Trying to unlock and migrate to new Mac - master password won't work

I'm a long-time 1Password user, migrating to the Family version as I upgrade to 1Password 7.

I have my vault migrated on my primary MacBook and 1Password is working fine on my iOS devices. I see my vault, master password works, etc.

On my work iMac I'm trying to install 1Password and get my vault online. I can't seem to get past the "Sign in to your 1Password account on this Mac" step. I've verified that I can login through the browser on this machine using my secret key, master password, etc. When I enter the same in this dialog in the app, I get a "Primary Profile Locked" message, telling me that 1Password cannot proceed until your Master Password is entered. But I entered that in the dialog, and I know it is correct (again, I'm able to login via browser just fine).

What should I do?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot unlock 1password

Comments

• Hello @Chris_Brooks,

It seems like the primary account on your Mac is still the stand alone vault.

Since you are able to log in to https://my.1password.com and on your iOS device we know the credentials you have are fine.

What we need to do it reset the data for 1Password7 on your Mac. You can do that by following the instructions found here: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Once the app data is reset, you will be able to add the new account to the app. '

Hopefully that will get you up and running! If not please let us know.

• I was able to get it to work. I must say this upgrade was more painful that I've come to expect with 1Password (I've been a user since the start). So many different master keys (passwords, license keys, etc.) with little context of what should be typed in within a given dialog. My new master password? The one in the legacy vault on my machine?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Chris_Brooks

Thanks for the feedback. You can greatly simplify things if you'd like by using only your 1Password.com membership, and discarding any standalone vaults and licenses. With a membeship those things are redundant. That way all you need is your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Everything you'd need at that point would be on the Emergency Kit.

Ben

• Yes, I've done that @Ben but my comments were focused on the transition from a legacy vault to the new membership approach.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Understood. Thanks. There's only so much we can do about legacy stuff... fortunately I think we've made it such that once folks are current things are pretty smooth sailing. If you find that isn't the case please let us know. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.