Direct links with item UUIDs work on macOS, not in iOS

Options
antifuchs
antifuchs
Community Member

I'm working on creating an Anki deck for passwords that I would like to memorize in case of a catastrophic data failure (e.g. changing my 1Password passphrase, I would like to memorize the new one before I set it, so I don't lock myself out). The idea is that I'd store the sensitive data in a 1Password team vault, and in my Anki flashcards, have only a name and a hyperlink to the entry that opens 1Password where I can verify that I remembered it correctly.

I have this working on macOS, using the onepassword://search/UUID link type (using the "Copy UUID" advanced setting) mentioned by Ben in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/352737/#Comment_352737. This is great, but I'd really like to work on these exercises on mobile too, and that means iOS.

But if I tap a link in anki on my phone, it does open the 1Password app, which shows a search for the entry's UUID in the correct team vault, but 1Password for iOS finds no items - the list of search results is empty. Is this not supported on 1Password 7.2.2 on iOS? I would really love to make these direct links work somehow!

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1, macOS 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1Password Family
Referrer: forum-search:search URL UUID

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @antifuchs

I just tested this and it works for me on iOS. Are you sure the item(s) in question are in 1Password membership vault(s)? With standalone vaults, even when synced, it is normal for the UUIDs to be different across devices. With membership vaults the UUIDs are maintained across devices.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Another thought: if you log in to the 1Password web interface ( https://my.1password.com ) and search for that UUID does it find the item?

Ben

• antifuchs
    antifuchs
    Community Member
    Options

That's a great point - In the 1Password installation I used to get the UUIDs, I have to keep some local (non-Team) vaults around, so the main vault is a standalone vault. The entries themselves live in a for-teams vault though. Is there a way to get a stable ID for these, or refer to single entries otherwise?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2018
    Options

If the items in question are in a membership vault then their UUIDs should be stable across installations. Did you see my question above about the web interface?

Ben

• antifuchs
    antifuchs
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, sorry for missing your message Ben - yep, on the web interface, I can find the UUID. I have now converted my laptop's 1Password installation to a team vaults-only setup, so can confirm that the UUIDs from the "for teams" vault are stable - copying them before & after leads to the same UUIDs.

I also just realized that the phone that I'm trying the search on has two 1Password for teams accounts connected (one for work, one personal). Could this be what interferes there?

• antifuchs
    antifuchs
    Community Member
    Options

Ohhhhhh damn. Oops.

I just tapped "Search Everything" instead of "Search Titles", and that shows the entry )):

Is there a onepassword:// URL format that will make the iOS app search by all fields when opening, not just by title?

• Ben
    Options

@antifuchs

Ah that's interesting. Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of that limitation. There are no other paramaters for the onepassword://search URL (just the item UUID) but I'll pass the request along to development. Thanks1

Ben

This discussion has been closed.