Update Existing Login

Options
bnyc
bnyc
Community Member

Since upgrading to 1Password 4 I have lost the ability to "Update Existing Login" with the Safari browser extension. I found some discussion about this problem back in the beta days, but I'm using the current App Store version (4.0.8) with Browser Extension 4.0.1 and am still seeing the problem.

Happened today changing password with Adobe, but I have not had it work with any website at least since the Beta. I have uninstalled-reinstalled.

OS X 10.9, Mid-2010 15" MBPro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with the Safari Browser extension. I am going to assume you have already tried rebooting the computer.

Do you recall if the Adobe site only asks for the new password, or does it ask for the old as well?

• bnyc
    bnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to have dropped out of the discussion for a moment, but I'm back.

First, yes, I have rebooted. I have also un- and re-installed the extension, and un- and re-installed the main application, deleting everything (prefs, etc) except my keychain. Problem persists.

Full story:

I don't recall if Adobe asked for only the new password, or new + current. So, I just logged in and changed my password. The site asked for current and new. I used the Safari extension password generator to generate and fill. It filled "current" and "new" fields with the newly-generated password. I manually (copy&paste) changed the current password, and Adobe accepted my change. When I submitted the change, I did NOT get any dialogue from 1Password asking to save the login, or update the login, or anything.

My more common scenario, since upgrading to 4.x - I change a password, almost always with the password generator, and a 1Password dialogue pops up asking if I would like to save as a new login. I click the gear icon, looking for "Update Existing Login" or something similar. That option is not there, only "New Login" or some version of "No". So I select "No," and then go to the main 1Password application, search for the password I just created, and copy and paste it into the existing login for that site. It is a bit of pain, and I very much miss the "Update Existing..." option.

I seem to recall it being gone during some beta releases, but back in others. I think I can reliably say I have never seen that option since officially updating to non-beta 1P4. Am I the only one having the problem with the official version? Did the "Update" option move somewhere new?

Thanks,

Brian

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

bnyc wrote:

When I submitted the change, I did NOT get any dialogue from 1Password asking to save the login, or update the login, or anything.

I can confirm that the same thing happened to me with Adobe just now (1P 4.1.1 Agile website version, OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.1).

David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bnyc and @DavidB,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I click the gear icon, looking for "Update Existing Login" or something similar. That option is not there, only "New Login" or some version of "No".

The 'Save New Login' has seen some great updates in 4.1. You may have noticed this already since your original post was from before 4.1 was available for the Mac App Store version of 1Password. :) There is now the option to "Update Existing Login" within the dialogue box (as well as the ability to add tags!). This should make your password-changing process easier.

Now, helping 1Password recognize when you are changing a password is an ongoing process. Currently it depends on the fields being labelled in such a way that 1Password can see the multiple password fields so it can recognize what is going on. I'll be sure to mention to the developers that Adobe is one of those problem sites to see if we can improve the behaviour there in the future.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.