Upgrade from 3.9 to 4.0 Lost data

Options
DanCormack
DanCormack
Community Member

I upgraded from my installation of 1Password 3.9 (purchased from the web site) to 4.0 (purchased from Mac App Store). I noticed that I am missing a lot of data such as logins and other data. When I log into my old version, everything is there (minus all new data entered into version 4.0). Has anyone else experienced this? I've attempted to contact support through their email address 5 days ago but have heard nothing back.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @DanCormack. I apologize for the delay; we're still working through backlog.

Can you confirm which version of 1Password 3 you're using? 3.9.x are MAS-only releases. 3.8.21 is the latest non-MAS (website) release.

1P4 may have picked the wrong data file when upgrading. Have you ever used syncing with 1P3?

If you enable View > Show Item Counts in both versions, what item counts are displayed for the All folder under the FOLDERS section in the 1P3 sidebar and All Items in the 1P4 sidebar?

Thanks for that additional information to help get this resolved for you!

• DanCormack
    DanCormack
    Community Member
    Options

Old Version is 3.8.21. I have used syncing with 1P3 a lot as I have the iPhone version and synced with a MacBook Pro and my iMac. It always worked flawlessly. When I do a count, on 3.8.21 I see 212 under Folders ALL. and for version 4 I see 213
    For Logins under 3.8.21 I see 156 and under version 4 I see 164 I am also missing several credit cards in the new version. I agree that the upgrade most likely used the wrong data file. I just want to know how to resolve this. I have been using 1PAssword4 since release and stopped using 1Password3. I have made changes to logins and other details in 1Password4 so sampling starting over is not really an option. How do I merge the two databases so that I capture changes made in 1Password4 but get the missing data from 1Password3?

Also, It has been two weeks since I first sent an email asking for help and to date, I have not heard anything at all. I have sent a few followup email sassing for help and heard nothing. I was fine in paying the full price (others complain about it) but for that price, I expect some decent support at a minimum which thus far I have not received.

• DanCormack
    DanCormack
    Community Member
    Options

Here is my original email sent on October 05 (no response)

I upgraded to Version 4 from the previous 3.x version (latest). I noticed that it was missing at least one web site's login details which were / are present in the older version. I could run the old version and see my login there however 4.0 is completely missing it. This is VERY concerning as I have a lot of logins stored. What do I need to do in order to ensure that all of my login data gets migrated?

As a follow-up to a previous email just sent. My old version of 1Password has 156 items in Logins... My 4.0 version has 144 (one of which I had to recreate as it was missing). I need to be provided with step-by-step instructions to fix this please.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@DanCormack, you're not alone in having the MAS version delete your items. :( Missing items after updating MAS version to 4

I e-mailed Agile Bits ten days ago and have yet to hear back. I e-mailed their +urgent address (upon request from one "orange" guy here on the forums) seven days ago and have yet to hear back.

I spent almost nine hours manually transferring data and from the 1Password 3 backup to the 1Password 4 only to discover that 1Password 4 does not work with attachments. I currently have about three weeks left on the 1Password 3 demo until that expires, however at the moment I do not expect as much as a whisper from Agile Bit's support regarding my lost data.

This is a travesty.

• Uno_Lavoz
    Uno_Lavoz
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

This comes up all the time on the forums and every discussion ends with the same conclusion:

• 1P4 looks in the standard location for a data file, and uses it without asking you if it's correct.
    • Some users had moved their 1P3 data, and their standard location only contains a very outdated database from prior to the move. Hence the issue.

Locate your last, real database. Delete all other databases. Delete all 1P4 data. Then start over with the latest, clean 1P3 data file.

I agree that a more official fix is needed, such as 1P4 asking you if it's importing the correct file and offering you to show it the real path. Perhaps it can even read the 1P3 preferences file and determine which path holds the latest database, but I don't think OS X allows reading preferences for other bundle identifiers, so I don't think that's possible.

It's silly that this scenario of moved data-files wasn't thought of ahead of time. Color me above average intelligence or something, but the first thing I'd have done is make sure that the new version of my software reads the correct data file from the old version. It's "kinda" integral to a smooth upgrade process.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @DanCormack. I apologize for not helping you with this issue sooner and will be following with you about it through email now.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

@Uno_Lavoz
    I have never moved the 1P3 data file. It is still in its location.

@sjk
    Any ETA on when my eleven day e-mail will arrive? Or when my eight day urgent e-mail will arrive?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Niklas. I've sent you three emails, the first which you've replied to and the most recent/detailed today.

Still awaiting response from email I sent @DanCormack on the 14th.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Uno_Lavoz mentioned:

Locate your last, real database. Delete all other databases. Delete all 1P4 data. Then start over with the latest, clean 1P3 data file.

Yup, that succinctly summarized suggestion can be sufficient, growing a bit if including an optional step like "Export items from 1P4 data modified after any in whichever database you intend to restore from". :)

• Uno_Lavoz
    Uno_Lavoz
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, if you've modified your 1P4 database before you noticed that it was missing data, then sort it by "last modified", select all modified items and export those to 1PIF (interchange format) so that you preserve any changes you've done in 1P4.

Then restore your real database from its original data location, Dropbox, the "Backups" folder or wherever else you had it stored. Use Time Machine if required.

Now that you have your latest "real" database loaded again, simply import the 1PIF file to merge in the newer changes as well.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @Uno_Lavoz.

1P4 Folder Sync can also be used to merge items from keychains into 1P4 data vaults, as @roustem mentions: here & here.

Important:

Please be aware that 1PIF exports contain your 1Password data unencrypted so be sure to securely delete any copies after confirming they've been successfully imported, as previously mentioned in several topics.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

I just want to pop back into this thread and mention that this issue has unfortunately not been resolved yet. I have spent 50+ hours trying to get back my data and lost money doing so.

If anyone knows of alternative support for this issue I am willing to offer a bounty to assist me getting the data that the upgrade killed back.

This discussion has been closed.