Where does the actual vault live?

Options
m00dawg
m00dawg
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Password 3 and used to run my vault off an encrypted Disk Image. Even in 3, passwords would get cached in places other than my disk image. In 1Password 4 though, I can't even find where the actual vault lives - I can only sync back over to the 1Password store on my disk image.

Is there anyway to make 1Password run exclusively from a DiskImage? Because, no offense to AgileBits, but I like the extra layer of encryption (can't hurt) or at least to know what's going on under the covers. We're talking about my entire live being stored in this thing, after all.

Comments

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

You may want to have a look at ~/Library/Application Support/1 Password 4/
    There you'll find all your data stored; the files that are shared to a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud are obviously copies of this that are being synced by 1P4 between the /Application Support/1 Password 4/ directories and the cloud. The Agilebits Support staff may answer the question whether it is possible to share info between Mac user accounts on the same Mac without sharing the files to the cloud.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m00dawg,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately, there is no way to run 1Password exclusively off a disk image. Your primary datafile is stored in the Library and cannot be moved. This is partly due to sandboxing restrictions put into place by the Mac App Store, but also to prevent users from moving their datafile to a place that 1Password could not locate it. This caused a fair amount of problems in 1Password 3. With 1Password 4, your primary datafile will always stay in the Library folder, easily accessible by 1Password, and when you choose a sync solution, a copy of this data will be made and synced to the appropriate location. If you would like to backup your datafile to a disk image, you could use Folder Sync.

I hope this explains our decision, but if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.