Data gone, gone, gone after upgrade [resolving through email]

Options
privateer
privateer
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I downloaded v. 4 from your website. When installing, it told me I had to uninstall my existing version. I did.

New version wants to know where my information is as an existing user. It appears to be gone! In Firefox, using the toolbar icon for 1Password, my data still exists.

How can I recover this data from the Firefox extension so that I don't have to reenter a couple hundred passwords manually?

Thanks in advance!! Dave

Comments

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded v. 4 from your website. When installing, it told me I had to uninstall my existing version. I did.

New version wants to know where my information is as an existing user. It appears to be gone!
    In Firefox, using the toolbar icon for 1Password, my data exists.

Can I recover this data?
    How?

Thanks in advance!!
    Dave

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately this has been a known issue since the launch days of 1P4. I have a 60-message long conversation with support and they have not been able to solve this issue yet.

I installed 1P4 for my parents a few days ago and experienced a similar case of lost data as well.

The general gist of the recovery process as described by Agile Bits' support is: Install the 1P3 app again, export the data from 1P3, and then import into 1P4.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @privateer,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting 1Password 4 set up. I think the quickest way to get this sorted out is to take a closer peek at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Where can I download 1P3 to reinstall? Thanks!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html

Even if you maybe used the Mac App Store these would work fine for 30 days without license.

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

Installed the legacy version. Do you know how I get the passwords from the Firefox browser extension into the legacy version?

Sorry to be so dense. I don't see a way... Thank you.

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

On it's way to you. Thanks in advance.
    Dave

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

I had v. 3.9 installed. The link offers 3.8. is this why it won't "connect"? Can I get 3.9 somehow?

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

3.9 was the Mac App Store version while 3.8 the non-MAS version. They should be functionally identical.

Run this command in Terminal.app:
    open ~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/

A new Finder window should open. There you should find your library file and/or backups. The backups are zip files, you may need to rename them to end with .zip rather than _zip and then unzip it.

Select your .agilekeychain in the newly downloaded 1Password 3.8 app and try to export it.

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

Given that my previous version installed was 3.9, I've tried to reinstall the only version you have on your site (3.8) to see if it would "connect" to my browser extension in Firefox (that still contains all the passwords). No dice. What do I do?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @privateer,

Since you've already sent your report in to support, we'll follow up directly via email so that we're not creating any confusion or duplicating efforts between here and there. :)

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately ( think) when I run the command, nothing happens. The only place I see my passwords is in the browser extension. I do appreciate all your assistance.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Odd. Try opening the library only: open ~/Library

…and manually browse to the folder Application Support and then 1Password. Do you see anything there?

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

No, sadly the only thing I've been able to find with data is the firefox extension.

• privateer
    privateer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @privateer.

I've merged your related topics together. Now that we've received your report and are helping you through email I'll close this topic.

This discussion has been closed.