How is this different from Last Pass?

Options
CJ Minott
CJ Minott
Community Member

Hey There,

Considering the switch from Lastpass to 1Password, but not really convinced. I don't love the newest LastPass update, but love their product, and a few of my friends use 1Password and recommend it, but I don't really see much to motivate me to switch. And there aren't really any good reviews out there that compare the two.

Especially when you consider that LastPass is only $12 / Year (Including servers for syncing) it would take almost 4 years for LastPass to cost as much as 1Password does (not counting any paid upgrades that 1Password may have & any additional iCloud/Dropbox cost).

I'm just a little hesitant to spend $45 without even a trial period of the software.

Do you guys have any tips or suggestions that could convince someone one way or the other?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There is a 30-day free trial if you get the version from AgileBits web site. And there are often sale reductions on 1PW. and very rarely have there been paid upgrades. But if you "love" LastPass, maybe you should just stay with it.

• MichaelL
    MichaelL
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Does Last Pass force you to use unsecured cloud service for syncing? Those of us who went through the whole v3 to the TAS v3 fiasco and now are STILL waiting for a wifi sync between v4 and IOS would like to know. They forced us to go the TAS then they came out with a different version 4 not through the Apple store and those of us stuck with TAS are just forgotten about as they eventually get around to doing upgrades for it.

• There's a decent discussion comparing password managers here.

• tkeeler
    tkeeler
    Community Member
    Options

Hi CJ,

I hope my input is somewhat useful for you, as I just purchased 1Password today after taking a good look at LastPass, KeePass, and some other lesser-known competitors.

First off, I won't sugar coat it - all of these products are fundamentally the same. Password randomizers, web form fillers, and a secured password database. Yeah, that pretty much sums up what they do. Now, what separates these tools. It's the little stuff. For me, the interface & usability was a big influence.

I ruled out (free) KeePass fairly quickly after checking out their Mac client, which has that complete unpolished "open source" feel. (I'm a developer and a big fan of open source, its just very rough around the edges and not something I'd want to use on a daily basis.)

LastPass was a lot better than KeePass, but the software interface (in my opinion) still had that "developed in the 90s" feel. Not that it was HUGE deal, but when I used the 1Password Mac client my first reaction was "yeah, this is how this should work". Also, dropbox syncing was preferable to me over a LastPass central server. The LastPass pricing was attractive, however.

1Password was the decision for me, mainly because of the interface and the usability. I hesitated quite a bit though, and I'll tell you why. First off, I felt the price was bit steep for what I wanted to pay - even after the current sale. I bought the family (5 user) mac license for ~$50, only because I felt my family could benefit from the software too (and justify me buying it). I also bought the iOS app for $10 (regularly $18). I have an iPad & (development) iPhone.

Personally, I think 1Password pricing should be reworked to a 1-price for all model. I feel like I'm being nickel-n-dimed to use their product. I use an Android device as my primary cell phone and the Android app in its current state is free (it sucks though). They are overhauling it and I'm afraid they are going to charge me $18 (minus some sale price), like the iOS app currently is. I work as an IT consultant, so I also worry that at some point I'll need to use a PC primarily at a client site and fork up some more money for the Windows license (and regret not paying extra for the bundle). I just wish I could pay one price, like LastPass offers.

I felt like what I paid for justifies (barely) what I am getting though. If it was normal price I would not have purchased the product, though. And probably have kept my poor password habits the way they are. Call me cheap, though.

My advice is to give the 30-day free trial a spin. Hopefully you'll see the benefit of 1Password like I did. The downside is the current sale ends in a few days, but I think they have sales fairly often...

This discussion has been closed.