iOS app won't install - iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

ldowens
ldowens
Community Member

I recently purchased the 1Password family pack for our household which has a mix of Windows and Mac pcs. I also purchased the iOS app and have been trying to install it on my iPhone 5. Using iTunes, I can see the app in the list of apps and can select it and set it to 'Will Install'. If I then Sync my device, I see the 1Passord app appear on my phone. However, when the sync finishes, the app icon disappears again. Searching for it on the phone doesn't find it.

If I plug it back in to iTunes, iTunes believes it is there and will let me Remove it again. I have used an iphone since the 3G, so I am not new to managing apps on my phone. I have tried restarting my phone and starting again with a fresh install of the app, but it still won't show up.

If I load the App Store on my phone, I can see 1Password in my list of purchased apps, but there is no install button. I am out of ideas!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

You've probably already done this, but just in case: if this happened to me, I would delete the application from iTunes, including sending it to the trash, make sure it was off my iPhone, reset my iPhone. Then I'd download the application again from the App Store.

That is really weird behavior.

• ldowens
    ldowens
    Community Member

Thanks hawkmoth. I had not tried deleting the app from iTunes and redownloading it. I have now tried your suggestion but sadly, it didn't help. It is very frustrating as I can see the app icon on my phone with the word 'installing' beneath it, right up to about 99% done. As soon as it is completely done, it removes itself from the phone's screen.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ldowens,

You had me baffled for a moment there as well, but luckily a colleague found a potential solution: Do you have any parental controls on your phone? Because it has a browser in it, 1Password is rated at 17+. :)

• ldowens
    ldowens
    Community Member

Hi Megan
    Thanks for your note. Interesting idea, but I don't have restrictions enabled on my phone.

• ldowens
    ldowens
    Community Member

Hi @Megan
    Just to be thorough, I enabled restrictions on my phone and changed the Apps setting to 'All Apps'. Leaving the setting enabled, I synced my phone again and this time the app installed. I have now disabled restrictions again and the app remains. Thanks for the fast response, and for the pointer in the right direction. I don't know why my phone was paying attention to restrictions settings when it wasn't enabled, but all is working now.
    Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ldowens,

Thanks so much for being thorough! I'm not quite sure why that was happening, but I'm so glad you were able to get the app installed finally. Please let me know if you run into any further snags, we're here to help :)

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

I am having the same problem, but none of the above advice works. Can't figure out why this is happening. I have EVERYTHING on my 1P app, so I've got to get this thing on my phone. Please help.

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

The only thing I could think of is this: When I first purchased the app, it was under a different Apple ID (which no longer exists). Could that have anything to do with it? If so, how do I change the ID that's associated with the app?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @braoudap,

Unfortunately purchases through the App Store are tied to your AppleID, so you would need to talk to Apple about getting your purchases transferred from your old AppleID to your new one. Apple doesn't allow us any access to their purchase records so we cannot transfer your purchase for you.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here!

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

OK, I figured out a way to do that. Now I have installed 1P on my phone. But now when I go to set it up, in my sync settings I choose Dropbox and it asks me to put in my Dropbox email and password. I put it in EXACTLY as it should be and your app keeps telling me I'm putting in the wrong information. I go onto Dropbox's website just to make sure I'm not going crazy and use the EXACT same credentials, letter by letter, and it let's me in just fine. But your app refuses to believe that this is my Dropbox login info. I'm at a complete loss here ...

• Hi @braoudap,

What version are you using? Please let us know which of these icons is on your home screen.

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

2- Password Pro

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Hi @braoudap,

Thanks so much for confirming that for us! Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is the result of a recent change that Dropbox made to their API. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. Since the iOS device you want to run 1Password on is running iOS 6+, the best solution is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you just need a way to backup your data to a Mac or PC for safe keeping, 1Password 3 for iOS has a nifty Backup & Restore option. 1Password can create an encrypted backup of your data file, and you can use a browser on a Mac or PC to copy that file to a place for safe keeping. Here’s our guide to get started with that:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

This discussion has been closed.