iPad temporary amnesia

suriyun
suriyun
Community Member
edited December 2013 in iOS

I have been using 1password 4.x for iPad for a few weeks now.

So, when I opened 1password on the iPad yesterday and found it asking me to set it up as a new user (suggesting a blank database), I was a bit surprised (especially since I had only just used it 5 minutes previously and the database had been fully populated during the previous access).

I killed the app and relaunched it and all entries had returned. Any ideas what might have caused this temporary amnesia?

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @suriyun,

I'm so sorry to hear that 1Password got a little bit forgetful on you there! What are you currently using to sync your 1Password database?

• Everyone
    Everyone
    Community Member

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again?

Wait, what are you telling me "iPads have no power cords"?

Bah, back in my day, technology obeyed mankind and not the other way around.

Note to self: Must install power plugs in the giant killer robots so that they can't walk further than the wall sockets. Save mankind. Profit.

• suriyun
    suriyun
    Community Member

Hi Megan -- I'm using WiFi sync.

BTW -- This is the first and only time I've see this happen, but it surprised me.

Hey Everyone -- I would use my robot hand for good!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @suriyun,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information. By any chance do you remember if Wi-Fi might have been disabled on your iPad when this occurred? I've conferred with a colleague who had a similar incident: when Wi-Fi was disabled on the device, the user saw a pop-up that said a Wi-Fi network was required and then the new user screen popped up. In this case, reinstalling the app made things behave properly.

I'm so glad to hear though that you haven't seen it since. If it does show up again, I'd recommend checking the Wi-Fi status to see if this applies.

As far as the robots go ... I wouldn't say no to a house-cleaning robot, but power plugs as a safety measure does sound wise! ;)

• suriyun
    suriyun
    Community Member

Hi Megan -- I'm almost sure that wifi was not disabled -- I recall surfing the web just before or after.

As noted, thankfully I did not have to re-install the app -- simply killing it and restarting it got things back on track. I'll take note of the wi-fi status in future should this occur again.

As for robots hands and the like, check out The IT Crowd on netflix.

Cheers.

• Everyone
    Everyone
    Community Member

On the subject of 1Password, I hope it doesn't experience temporary amnesia again. But if it does, try to remember what might have caused it and let us know. As long as you don't go through with the "New User" setup, your data should still be safe since it'll still live within 1Password's internal data folder on iOS and wouldn't be overwritten.

@suriyun: Hahaha, high five! For anyone that didn't understand our two jokes, here's the backstory:

"Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again?":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4

"I would use my robot hand for good!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ibSaHM_LbM

The IT Crowd is honestly one of the best shows ever. The characters are all hilarious and the writing is incredible.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @suriyan and @Everyone,

Darn, I hate missing a nerdy reference! I've heard good things about the IT Crowd, I'll be sure to pop it into the Netflix queue. :)

• Everyone
    Everyone
    Community Member

Wise choice. It's British humor meets I.T. support department. The freshest idea for a TV show in a long time. =))

This discussion has been closed.