Where are the files stored on the Mac?

Options
madsteer
madsteer
Community Member

I have 1PW v. 4 on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. With version 3, I was using dropbox for syncing. Now that I'm on version 4, I switched to iCloud syncing. Since I can't sync to both iCloud and dropbox on the Mac version and can on the iOS version, I also have dropbox syncing on my iPhone only. I did this so that I could get to my data via a browser if I have none of my devices with me and need a password. I've been having occasional syncing issues to dropbox with my iPhone and I realized today that I probably just need to sync the 1passwordanywhere html file to dropbox and quit the dropbox syncing on my iPhone.

My problem is that I don't understand where my files are. The 1passwordanywhere doc (which seemed to be written or 1PW3) I found said it would be under ~/Library/Application Data/1Password. I do have that folder and some files including backups under there, but I don't have a 1Password.agilekeychain in there. It's in my dropbox folder. Is my data still in my dropbox folder since I used to use dropbox syncing with the Mac version, or what's going on?

Also, I have like 18 copies of the 1Password.html file under the 1Password.agilekeychain "folder", in my dropbox folder. Is that related to my data syncing issues to dropbox, or what? I'd like to get my data cleaned up and have the access I want to it, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

That 1Password.agilekeychain is created by 1Password only when a user is using Dropbox for syncing. If you need use to it via a web browser, you access it directly from the Dropbox account, not from a local Mac. If you stop syncing to Dropbox, that keychain won't be updated anymore, and depending on what option you pick when you turn off Dropbox in the Mac application, may even be deleted when you stop syncing to Dropbox.

AgileBits recommends that users do not sync to both Dropbox and iCloud in the iOS application, even though it is permitted in the current release. Furthermore, AgileBits will remove the ability to sync with both in a future iOS update. You will then have to pick one or the other. So if 1PasswordAnywhere is important to you, you must sync via Dropbox. It isn't available with iCloud.

• madsteer
    madsteer
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I can't find a .agilekeychain or a 1Password.html file anywhere besides my dropbox folder on my Mac, and the 1Password.agilekeychain in my dropbox folder has been updated as recently as 12/23, which is way after I turned off dropbox syncing on all my boxes but not as recent as my latest activity in 1password on the mac or it's backup (which are dated today 12/26). So, I'm no closer to figuring anything out. I don't know where the 1PasswordAnywhere html file is (or is supposed to be) and I don't have confidence that 1Password is not using my dropbox folder for it's storage location.

What are my next steps?

Thanks,

• madsteer
    madsteer
    Community Member
    Options

Well, after reading this support page, it would appear that I can't use 1PasswordAnywhere unless I'm dropbox syncing. Is that right?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can create a keychain by using folder sync. Note that it's recommended that you use only one sync method at any one time.

Stephen

• madsteer
    madsteer
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so just so I'm clear, I can delete my 1Password related files from my Mac's local dropbox folder? My current keychain on my Mac is somewhere else?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @madsteer.

I can give you information about where 1Password data is stored, without specifically saying which of it is okay for you to delete. :)

1Password 4 stores your database locally in an SQLite file. For more details about that see @MikeT's post: here.

If you've disabled syncing then your data will simply be stored in the SQLite file.

The definitions for Your 1Password data and others in the 1Password 4 glossary can be helpful.

• madsteer
    madsteer
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm all set. Where would be a good place to make a feature request? I would like to have the html file that OnePasswordAnywhere provides without using DropBox syncing, or more specifically, while I'm using iCloud syncing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @madsteer.

Where would be a good place to make a feature request?

Here is a good place. :)

I would like to have the html file that OnePasswordAnywhere provides without using DropBox syncing, or more specifically, while I'm using iCloud syncing.

1PasswordAnywhere requires a complete 1Password keychain, which is a folder bundle containing multiple files (including 1Password.html). It's possible to create a 1Password keychain from 1Password 4 that's compatible with 1PasswordAnywhere by using Folder sync, like @Stephen_C mentioned. But you can't do that with iCloud syncing enabled so Dropbox syncing is recommended with 1PasswordAnywhere usage, like @hawkmoth mentioned:

So if 1PasswordAnywhere is important to you, you must sync via Dropbox. It isn't available with iCloud.

It's "must" if you want changes to be immediately synced instead of temporarily switching from iCloud to Folder syncing. :)

It sounds like your request is for 1PasswordAnywhere to support the Cloud Keychain format. In Cloud Keychain & 1PasswordAnywhere @MikeT wrote:

It is something like we like to support in the future but right now, you still need the Agile Keychain format for the 1PasswordAnywhere support on Dropbox.com.

And elsewhere:

Right now, the Dropbox and Folder sync both uses the older [Agile Keychain] format in order to remain compatible with the rest of the platforms. Once we release 1Password 4 for those platforms, we'll phase out the older format and use the new [Cloud Keychain] format everywhere for all sync methods. It's one of our top priorities to complete as soon as humanly possible.

When Cloud Keychain format is ubiquitous on 1Password platforms it'll naturally be the primary reason for 1PasswordAnywhere to support it even without being explicitly requested. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

It's "must" if you want changes to be immediately synced instead of temporarily switching from iCloud to Folder syncing.

I must remember to be less definite. ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I must remember to be less definite. ;)

That's funny because I was just thinking of how to be more definite in a recent reply. :)

This discussion has been closed.