Best practice set up for family licence

Options
bradmiller
bradmiller
Community Member

I have multiple family members, multiple computers and handheld devices.

I am looking for the best way to set this program up.

I set myself up on my main computer. On my wife's computer when I do the initial setup should I set up as an existing user or a new user, one of the five available? Then the same for my kids iPad etc?

I do understand sharing vaults.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bradmiller,

How you set up the computer for your wife and kids is entirely up to you. The family license allows five family members to install 1Password on as many computers (Mac/PC/both depending on your bundle) as they personally use. Whether you set your wife up as new or existing user depends on how you would like the family vault ecosystem to be set up.

• If you would like the entire family to share the database, set your wife up as an existing user and point 1Password at the existing keychain file (either in Dropbox or iCloud).
    • If you would like yourself and your wife to maintain separate databases and share a non-primary vault, set her up as a new user with her own vault.

For your childrens' iOS devices, please note that multiple vaults are not currently supported on iOS. So your options with respect to those devices are:

• If the family shares the entire password database, set 1Password up as existing users and point it at the shared keychain.
    • Let the children maintain their own database (set 1Password up as a new user on each device.)

Please let me know how these options sound to you! Our iOS development team is working hard to bring multiple vaults to the iOS app as soon as possible, and then you will have several more options to stay secure and share passwords with the entire family. :)

This discussion has been closed.